From per person
Experience the National Palace and Gardens of Queluz at your own pace with a skip-the-line e-ticket and a captivating self-guided audio tour on your smartphone.
Receive your ticket by email, download the app and the audio tour on your phone, prior to your visit, and travel back in time to experience the glory of the National Palace and Gardens of Queluz, one of the last remaining examples of rococo architecture in Europe.
Put on your headphones and discover the Music Room, the Picnic Room and the Monkey Lakes through the power of storytelling and learn historical information and uncommon stories and anecdotes from the ancient times. Tour’s content is the result of in-depth research, squeezed into brief original stories that will make your visit both engaging and informative. The audio tour can be used repeatedly and anytime, before or after your visit.
This is an unmissable opportunity to gain valuable insights into the refined lifestyle of the Portuguese monarchy and the meticulously landscaped gardens of the National Palace of Queluz and relate to your surroundings in an entirely original way.
The origin of the Palace
The exact date that the Palace was originally built is unclear. The National Palace of Queluz became part of the properties of the Royal Family in 1654, acquired by João IV. He, in turn, gave the property to his youngest son, the future King Pedro II. This happened just after the Spanish were expelled from Portugal, in 1640, since the previous owner of the Palace –The Marquis of Castelo Rodrigo– was accused of plotting against Portugal with the Spanish. Queluz was always a place that the royal family relished and you can see why. Apart from its utter splendour, it was just the right distance from Lisbon. What’s more, it was the perfect spot for relaxation, leisure, holidays and sometimes, hiding!
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Adult entry ticket to the National Palace and Gardens of Queluz
- Self-guided audio tour on your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps) to avoid roaming charges
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Charged smartphone
There is no meeting point. The self-guided audio tour is designed to start at the entrance of The National Palace and Gardens of Queluz (Largo Palácio de Queluz, 2745-191 Queluz, Portugal). The easiest way to get there is by reaching the Sintra train station (2710-590 Sintra, Portugal), getting off at the Queluz-Belas train station (2745-173 Queluz, Portugal) and then walking around 13 minutes towards the palace. Alternatively, you can take the 1717 bus operated by Carris Metropolitana from Lisbon, which stops at the Queluz (4 caminhos) bus stop, and then walk for about 11 minutes along Av. da República, until you reach the palace entrance.
The Throne Room| Tiled Canal| Neptune’s Lake
Opening hours for The National Palace and Gardens of Queluz
Recommended visiting hours
09:00 – 18:00
Last Entry: 17:30
09:00 — 18:30
Last Entry: 17:30
Know before you book
- This is a combination of a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone (accessible through our app) and an entry ticket for the National Palace and Gardens of Queluz
- No live guide or meeting point provided.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well.
- The course of the visit may be modified and special restrictions may be imposed. The visitors must always adhere to the guidelines of the site.
- Book per device to be used, not per participant.
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS (version 15.0 and later) smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 6/6 Plus or older, iPod Touch 6th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Air 1st generation, iPad Mini 3rd generation or older.
- You will need storage space on your phone (100-150 MB)
- Free and reduced admission tickets do not have to skip the line privileges and can only be acquired at the ticket booth on-site.
- The interior of the Palace is fully wheelchair accessible. Access to the upper gardens (Hanging Garden and Malta Garden) is also possible via a ramp.
Know before you go
- Download the ticket(s) & audio tour while on WiFi prior to your visit. Mobile signal may be weak at the site(s).
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged & that you bring your earphones
- Food products and smoking are not permitted inside the palace.
- Visitors are advised to wear comfortable shoes.
Contributors and Bibliography
© Clio Muse Tours
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!