Sintra has been a royal residence, an inspiration for artists, and a backdrop for myths, legends and classical literature. For Lord Byron, ‘Sintra contains beauties of every description, natural and artificial’. Prepare to lose yourself in the streets of its old town and discover the appeals of a city that bewitched the Romantics!
Waltz in the city of Sintra with a self-guided audio tour on your phone designed by an accredited expert. Listen to fascinating stories, based on an award-winning storytelling concept, and gain great insights into the most iconic landmarks of Sintra. Start your tour from Volta do Duche and continue to meet The Moorish Fountain, get acquainted with National Palace of Sintra, and be fascinated by the Clock Tower and Old Jail.
This is an unmissable opportunity to experience at your own pace the city tour of Sintra with a captivating audio tour on your phone.
* * Ticket/entrance fee to any museum, archaeological site, or church is not include
Back from the shower
In 1848, Dr Bernardino de Castro requested permission to build a series of public bathhouses in Sintra, located directly to the west of the current Volta do Duche. An old villa with a reservoir existed there, which pumped water across town. The establishment was humble, comprising a pair of medium-sized pools and quarters. It was officially shut in 1908 after being inherited by António Pereira. Nicknamed the "Unlucky" for his string of failed businesses, he predictably ran the place to the ground, although the waters of the reservoir were used until 2013. In 1855, construction began for a new railroad connecting Lisbon with Sintra, which was finally inaugurated in 1887. Until then, the two cities were linked exclusively via the so-called "Sintra Road". Volta do Duche was the main artery, connecting the new train station with the town. Once called "National Road No. 88 to Mafra", the name was later changed to Volta do Duche, which literally means "turn of (or return from) the shower", in honour of the public bathhouses.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Self-guided audio tour in English on your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps) to avoid roaming charges
- Entrance tickets to museums, archaeological sites, or churches are not included.
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Charged smartphone
Directions to starting point
The easiest way to get there is by reaching the Largo C.M.Sintra bus stop (2710-631 Sintra, Portugal) and you’ll be at the right place to start the tour.
National Palace of Sintra | Clock Towe and Old Jail | Church of São Martinho
Please consider that admission fees for the museums, attractions, and monuments are not included.
Know before you book
- Please consider that admission fees for any museums, archaeological sites, or churches are not included.
- This is a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone, accessible through our app. No live guide will accompany you. No VR / AR is included.
- No live guide or meeting point provided.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Check your spam folder as well.
- Book per device to be used, not per participant.
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS (version 15.0 and later) smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 6/6 Plus or older, iPod Touch 6th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Air 1st generation, iPad Mini 3rd generation or older.
- You will need storage space on your phone (100-150 MB).
- This is a city tour therefore it is wheelchair accessible, please note that some points of interest might not be wheelchair accessible.
Know before you go
- Mobile signal may be weak at the site(s). Download your audio tour on your smartphone prior to your visit to fully enjoy it.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged & that you bring your earphones
- Please wear sunscreen and a hat during the hot summer months
- Visitors are advised to wear comfortable shoes
Contributors and Bibliography
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!