From per person
Experience the National Archaeological Museum at your own pace with a pre-booked e-ticket and an engaging audio tour and discover El Retiro Park with a fascinating self-guided audio tour on your smartphone.
Receive your ticket by email, download the app and the audio tour on your phone, prior to your visit, and travel back in time to experience the glory of two of the most iconic attractions of Madrid; the National Archaeological Museum, hosting one of the most important antique collections in the world and El Retiro Park, the green oasis at the heart of the Spanish capital.
Put on your headphones and explore the Beast of Balazote, Palacio de Velazquez and Estanque Grande through the power of storytelling and learn historical information and uncommon stories and anecdotes from the ancient times. Tour’s content is the result of in-depth research, squeezed into brief original stories that will make your visit both engaging and informative. The audio tour can be used repeatedly and anytime, before or after your visit.
This is an unmissable opportunity to gain valuable insights into El Retiro Park, encompassing the spanish capital’s moments of memory and leisure as well as the National Archaeological Museum, narrating the long period of human presence in the Iberian peninsula and relate to your surroundings in an entirely original way.
Too Many Mosquitoes
Is there anything more annoying than mosquito bites? The Order of Saint Jerome originally had its headquarters near the Manzanares River, where they had settled in 1464. Yet, those grounds proved to be very unsuitable and unhygienic, since the location attracted numerous mosquitoes during summer. The monks, who suffered from several diseases, asked Queen Isabella I and King Ferdinand II to be relocated at San Blas hill. The new monastery was constructed in the late Gothic style and works were completed between 1502 and 1510 by the favourite architect of the Catholic Monarchs, Enrique Egas, whose work can also be admired at the royal hospitals in Toledo and Granada. The new monastery would hold a central role in the political and religious life of the court. After all, the structure also hosted several members of the Royal Family when visiting Madrid.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Adult entry ticket to El Retiro Park and the National Archaeological Museum.
- Self-guided audio tour on your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps) to avoid roaming charges
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Charged smartphone
El Retiro Park
There is no meeting point. The self-guided audio tour is designed to start at the entrance of the Saint Jerome Church (C. de Moreto, 4, 28014 Madrid, Spain). The easiest way to get there is by reaching the Neptuno bus station and walking 400 meters east to reach the entrance of the Church.
National Archaeological Museum
There is no meeting point. The self-guided audio tour is designed to start at the entrance of the Archaeological Museum (Calle de Serrano, 13 28001). The easiest way to get there is by metro: Retiro (L2), Serrano (L4).
Opening hours for El Retiro Park
1 April - 30 September
- Monday - Sunday: -
1 October - 31 March
- Monday - Sunday: -
Opening hours for N.A.M Madrid
- Tuesday - Saturday: -
- Sunday: -
Know before you book
- This is a combination of an entry ticket for the National Archaeological Museum and two downloadable self-guided audio tours for your smartphone (accessible through our app) for El Retiro Park and the National Archaeological Museum.
- No live guide or meeting point provided.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well.
- The course of the visit may be modified and special restrictions may be imposed. The visitors must always adhere to the guidelines of the site.
- Book per device to be used, not per participant.
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS (version 15.0 and later) smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 6/6 Plus or older, iPod Touch 6th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Air 1st generation, iPad Mini 3rd generation or older.
- You will need storage space on your phone (200-300MB)
- Free and reduced admission tickets do not have skip the line privileges and can only be acquired at the ticket booth on-site.
- El Retiro Park and the National Archaeological Museum are wheelchair accessible.
- At the National Archaeological Museum the Toilets are adapted for wheelchairs, while there are wheelchairs available at coat-check.
Know before you go
- Make sure you wear comfortable shoes, suitable for walking
- Wear sunscreen and a hat during hot days
- No pets besides guide dogs are allowed in the National Archaeological Museum.
- Download the ticket(s) & audio tour while on WiFi prior to your visit. Mobile signal may be weak at the site(s).
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged & that you bring your earphones
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!