$ 10,69 per person
A once humble town was transformed into the seat of the court and the capital of Spain in 1561. From then on, Madrid became known as “the city that never sleeps” and mushroomed into the largest city of the Iberian Peninsula! Let’s say “hola” and set out on a walk that will reveal its fascinating history!
Waltz in Madrid with a self-guided audio tour on your phone designed by an accredited expert. Listen to fascinating stories, based on an award-winning storytelling concept, and gain great insights into the fascinating history of Madrid. Start your tour from Atocha Train Station Quarter, one of the crowded corners of the city, and then continue to explore the best sites in Madrid, feeling like a local. This is an unmissable opportunity to experience at your own pace the Spanish capital and find out the hidden corners of it with a captivating audio tour on your phone.
* * Ticket/entrance fee to the museums or other sites is not included
Main picture © Carlos Delgado / Wikimedia Commons
The Royal Hideaway
In the mid-17th century, King Philip IV (1605-1665) commissioned the creation of a garden, a place where he could retire in soothing isolation. In fact, Retiro means retreat in Spanish! In 1767 the park became a favorite hangout destination for the royal family’s closest friends and people in Madrid would wander in the surrounding area to catch a glimpse of the VIP guests frequenting El Retiro. The area became accessible to ordinary citizens in 1868 when it became the property of the municipality of Madrid and until today it is a popular hangout spot for the locals, especially the pond in front of the impressive monument dedicated to King Alfonso XII, which was inaugurated in 1922. You can rent a boat and soak up the sun or chill listening to the various street musicians performing close to the steps of the monument.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Self-guided audio tour in English on your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps)
- Entrance fees/tickets to sites
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Charged smartphone
Directions to starting point
Metro stations: Atocha Renfe & Estación del Arte
Atocha Train Station Quarter
Museo Reina Sofia
Paseo del Prado
Royal Botanical Garden
El Prado Museum
El Retiro Park
Puerta de Alcala
National Archaeological Museum
The Fountain of Cybele
Puerta del Sol
San Miguel Market
You can enjoy the audio-tour anytime
Recommended visiting hours
Know before you book
- This is a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone. No live guide will accompany you. No VR / AR is included.
- Please consider that admission fees for the museums and monuments are not included.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access your audio tour.
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS (version 15.0 and later) smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 6/6 Plus or older, iPod Touch 6th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Air 1st generation, iPad Mini 3rd generation or older.
- Please ensure you have enough storage space (100-150 MB).
- Book per device to be used, not per participant.
- Non refundable once activated.
Know before you go
- Mobile signal may be weak at the site(s). Download the audio tour on your smartphone prior to your visit to avoid connectivity issues and enjoy it offline
- The audio tour can be used repeatedly both online and offline
- Ensure you have a fully charged device and earphones/headphones
- Please wear sunscreen and a hat during the hot summer months
- Visitors are advised to wear comfortable shoes
Contributors and Bibliography
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!