From per person
Experience the Museum of Byzantine Culture of Thessaloniki at your own pace with a pre-booked e-ticket and a fascinating self-guided audio tour on your smartphone.
Receive your ticket by email, download the app and the audio tour on your phone, prior to your visit, and travel back in time to experience the glory of the city through the collections of the Museum of Byzantine Culture of Thessaloniki and the histories about the most interesting places of the city found on the self-guided audio city tour.
Receive your ticket by email, download the app and the audio tours on your phone, prior to your visit, and travel back in time to experience the glory of the city through the collections of the Museum of Byzantine Culture of Thessaloniki and the histories about the most interesting places of the city found on the self-guided audio city tour.
Put on your headphones and discover the precious objects of the rich collection of the Museum of Byzantine Culture of Thessaloniki such as the tomb of Eustorgios, the wall mosaic from Acheiropeitos church, and the marble icon of the Virgin through the power of storytelling and learn historical information and uncommon stories and anecdotes from the glorious byzantine period of Thessaloniki. It is also a great chance to explore the city of Thessaloniki, the popular and picturesque sites, via our self guided audio city tour. Tours’ content is the result of in-depth research, squeezed into brief original stories that will make your visit both engaging and informative. The audio tours can be used repeatedly and anytime, before or after your visit.
This is an unmissable opportunity to gain valuable insights into the golden era of Thessaloniki and relate to your surroundings and the exhibits in an entirely original way.
Look at me reading
he ambo was an elevated platform (usually placed towards the centre of the nave), where the priest or deacon read the litanies and scriptures during the Divine Liturgy. The structure was raised to help the faithful with observing the reading. The ambo could be made of wood or stone, but the more elaborate examples are made of marble. This ambo is almost three metres (ten feet) tall and comes from the so-called Basilica C in Philippi. It is an impressive example richly adorned with sculptural geometric patterns, crosses, seeds and a bird. The ambo was discovered broken into pieces but has been expertly restored. In most modern Greek Orthodox churches, the ambo is little more than a rounded raised area immediately in front of the iconostasis, i.e. the wall of icons separating the nave from the sanctuary.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Adult entry ticket to the Museum of Byzantine Culture of Thessaloniki
- Skip-the-line service
- Self-guided audio tour in English on your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps) to avoid roaming charges
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Charged smartphone
There is no meeting point.
- The self-guided audio tour of the museum is designed to start at the Entrance of the Museum of Byzantine Culture of Thessaloniki. (Leof. Stratou 2, Thessaloniki 546 40). You can reach the Museum of Byzantine Culture in Thessaloniki via a city bus. Reach the bus stop Museum of Byzantine Culture via the lines 3,5,6,33,39,78.
- The self-guided audio city tour is designed to start at the Alexander the Great Statue (Thessaloniki 546 21).
Opening hours for Museum of Byzantine Culture
Recommended visiting hours
- Winter Opening hours of the Museum of Byzantine Culture
- Summer Opening hours of the Museum of Byzantine Culture
08:00 – 20:00
Easter Holiday opening hours
On Good Friday the Museum is open from 12:00 to 17:00 and on Holy Saturday from
08:00 to 15:00
The Thessaloniki audio city tour is always accessible. It is recommended you take this tour before sunset.
Know before you book
- This is a combination of a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone (accessible through our app) and an entry ticket for the Museum of the Byzantine Culture of Thessaloniki.
- Please consider that admission fees for any museums, archaeological sites, or churches cited in the audio city tour are not included.
- No live guide or meeting point provided.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tours. Please check your email spam folder as well.
- The course of the visit may be modified and special restrictions may be imposed. The visitors must always adhere to the guidelines of the site.
- Book per device to be used, not per participant.
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS (version 15.0 and later) smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 6/6 Plus or older, iPod Touch 6th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Air 1st generation, iPad Mini 3rd generation or older.
- You will need storage space on your phone (200-300MB).
- Free and reduced admission tickets do not have to skip the line privileges and can only be acquired at the ticket booth on-site.
- The Museum is wheelchair accessible.
- The audio city tour is partially wheelchair accessible.
Know before you go
- Please note that your (name of marketplace) Voucher is not your entry ticket.
- Download the ticket(s) & audio tour while on WiFi prior to your visit. Mobile signal may be weak at the site(s).
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged & that you bring your earphones
- Please wear sunscreen and a hat during the hot summer months
- Visitors are advised to wear comfortable shoes
Contributors and Bibliography
© Clio Muse Tours
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!