Thessaloniki city tour: The Cosmopolitan City
Self-guided audio tourFollow the story at your own pace
EnglishFor both audio and stories included
Thessaloniki is definitely one of Greece’s most vibrant and exhilarating cities. Hellenistic, Roman, Byzantine, Jewish, and Ottoman residents and conquerors adorned the city with unforgettable monuments and corners that enchant and captivate any visitor to this modern metropolis.
Waltz in the city of Thessaloniki with a self-guided audio tour on your phone designed by an accredited expert. Listen to fascinating stories, based on an award-winning storytelling concept, and gain great insights into the most iconic landmarks of Thessaloniki. Start your tour from the Statue of Alexander the Great and continue to meet The Arch of Galerius (Kamara), get acquainted with the White Tower, and be fascinated by Hagia Sophia’s Cathedral.
This is an unmissable opportunity to experience at your own pace the city tour of Thessaloniki with a captivating audio tour on your phone.
* * Ticket/entrance fee to any museum, archaeological site, or church is not included.
Cover photo: © Johannesjom / Commons Wikimedia
Her name was victory
Archaeological excavations have revealed that the area around Greece’s second largest city was first inhabited during the late neolithic, around 6000-5000 BC with the largest settlement being at Thermi. Thessaloniki, however, was actually born in 316/15 BC. Cassander, one of Alexander the Great’s generals gave the city its new name not only in order to pay tribute to Philip of Macedon’s victory over the Thessalian Greeks, but also to honour his own wife, Thessaloniki, Philip’s daughter and Alexander’s half-sister. From then on, Thessaloniki comprised the 26 small settlements in the area around the Thermaic Gulf, becoming the naval base of the Kingdom of Macedonia and an important commercial center with its own currency.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Self-guided audio tour in English on your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps) to avoid roaming charges
- Entrance tickets to museums, archaeological sites, or churches are not included.
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Charged smartphone
Alexander the Great Statue (Thessaloniki 546 21)
Directions to starting point
There is no meeting point. The self-guided audio tour is designed to start at the Alexander the Great Statue (Thessaloniki 546 21). The easiest way to get there is by foot.
The tour ends at the city’s harbor (Thessaloniki 546 27).
- Statue of Alexander the Great,
- The White Tower,
- Aristotelous Square,
- Hagia Sophia Cathedral,
- Church of Panagia Acheiropoietos,
- Kemal Ataturk Museum,
- Vlatadon Monastery,
- Church of Hagios Demetrios,
- Bezesteni Market,
- Modiano Market,
- Plateia Eleftherias,
- The harbor
Ticket/entrance fee to any museum, archaeological site, or church is not included.
Know before you book
- Please consider that admission fees for any museums, archaeological sites, or churches are not included.
- This is a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone, accessible through our app. No live guide will accompany you. No VR / AR is included
- No live guide or meeting point provided.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Check your spam folder as well
- Book per device to be used, not per participant
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 5/5C or older, iPod Touch 5th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Mini 1st generation
- You will need storage space on your phone (100-150 MB)
- This is a city tour therefore it is wheelchair accessible, please note that some points of interest might not be wheelchair accessible.
Know before you go
- Mobile signal may be weak at the site(s). Download your audio tour on your smartphone prior to your visit to fully enjoy it.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged & that you bring your earphones
- Please wear sunscreen and a hat during the hot summer months
- Visitors are advised to wear comfortable shoes
Contributors and Bibliography
Stop 1: © dimitrisvetsikas1969 / 16816 images / Pixabay
Stop 3: © Ελένη Δελή / Flickr
Stop 4: © Andrew Zorin / Commons Wikimedia
Stop 5: © Joyofmuseums / Commons Wikimedia
Stop 6: © Armineaghayan / Commons Wikimedia
Stop 7: © Joyofmuseums / Commons Wikimedia
Stop 8: © Prof. Vlasis Vlasidis / Commons Wikimedia
Stop 9: © Marsyas / Commons Wikimedia
Stop 10: © Herbert Frank / Commons Wikimedia
Stop 11: © C messier / Commons Wikimedia
Stop 12: © Joyofmuseums / Commons Wikimedia
Stop 13: © Geraki / Commons Wikimedia
Stop 14: © Ezarogianni / Commons Wikimedia
Stop 15: © Jean Housen / Commons Wikimedia
Stop 16: © Kmye75 / Commons Wikimedia
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!
- Duration: 1h 30min
- Audio available in 1 language
- Duration: 2 hours
- Audio available in 1 language