From per person
Santorini is famous for the sea-filled crater in the middle of the island, the awesome wonder of its sunsets, and the charming cliff-top villages. But it is also home to the archaeological site of Akrotiri, a prehistoric town buried in the ashes of a volcanic eruption that brought down a unique civilization and gave us the Pompeii of the Aegean Sea.
Experience the prehistoric site of Akrotiri at your own pace with an e-ticket and a captivating self-guided audio tour on your smartphone.
Receive your ticket by email, download the app and the audio tour on your phone, prior to your visit, and travel back in time to experience the curious, spine-chilling history of the site of Akrotiri, frozen in time by the eruption of the Santorini volcano.
Put on your headphones and explore the layout of the prehistoric town, once buried under ashes, through the power of storytelling. Learn historical information about its affluent residences, known as Xeste, and little-known stories and anecdotes about the daily lives of its inhabitants. The content of the tour is the result of in-depth research, distilled into brief original stories that will make your visit both engaging and educational. The audio tour can be used repeatedly and at any time, before or after your visit.
This is an unmissable opportunity to gain valuable insights into the archaeology of a prehistoric residential space that has been literally frozen in time, providing a snapshot of life just before its residents decided to flee the increasing fury of the neighbouring volcano. As a result, you will relate to your surroundings in an entirely original way.
Οnce you arrive at the site’s parking area, you go across the road to the site entrance and you immediately see the ticket office on your left. You proceed along the path passing the shop and café on your left, always walking straight on the concrete path flanked by colorful cobblestone volcanic rock, to reach the next building complex on your left. This is the sheltered site with seats under a pergola on your left followed by the actual entrance.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Adult entry ticket to the prehistoric site of Akrotiri
- Self-guided audio tour on your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps) to avoid roaming charges
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Charged smartphone
There is no meeting point. The self-guided audio tour is designed to start at the entrance of the archaeological site of Akrotiri, which is located south of the modern village that bears the same name.
Directions to starting point
The easiest way to get there is by car or bus. Once at the car park at Akrotiri Red Beach, you may follow the road that takes you to the archaeological site.
Open daily from 8 am – 8pm, except Thursdays which is from 8:30 am -15:30 pm
Recommended visiting hours
Daily in the morning until noon and early in the afternoon ( but on Thursdays the site is closing at 15:30)
Know before you book
- This is a combination of a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone (accessible through our app) and an entry ticket for Akrotiri.
- No live guide or meeting point provided.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well.
- The course of the visit may be modified and special restrictions may be imposed. Visitors must always adhere to the guidelines of the site.
- Book per device to be used, not per participant.
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS (version 15.0 and later) smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 6/6 Plus or older, iPod Touch 6th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Air 1st generation, iPad Mini 3rd generation or older.
- You will need storage space on your phone (100-150 MB)
- Free and reduced admission tickets do not have skip-the-line privileges and can only be acquired at the ticket booth on-site.
- The site is wheelchair accessible
- The site is shielded under a large tent, in order to protect the archaeology, and incidentally provides shade for visitors at all times
Know before you go
- Download the ticket and audio tour while on WiFi prior to your visit. Mobile signal may be weak at the site.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged and that you bring your earphones
- Wearing comfortable shoes is recommended
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!