Akrotiri: the Pompeii of the Aegean
Self-guided audio tourFollow the story at your own pace
English, Deutsch, Français, ItalianoFor both audio and stories included
Santorini is famous for the sea-filled crater in the middle of the island, the awesome wonder of its sunsets, and the charming cliff-top villages. But it is also home to the archaeological site of Akrotiri, a prehistoric town buried in the ashes of a volcanic eruption that brought down a unique civilization and gave us the Pompeii of the Aegean Sea.
Listen to fascinating stories, based on an award-winning storytelling concept, and gain great insights into the most iconic landmark of Santorini. Start your tour from the sheltered site where you can listen to the stories about how Akrotiri was discovered, and then continue to explore its interior learning about the rise and the fall of one of the most important prehistoric settlements not only in the Aegean, but also in the world. This is an unmissable opportunity to experience at your own pace the Akrotiri with a captivating audio tour on your phone.
* * Ticket/entrance fee is not included.
The adventure begins
Once upon a time, Santorini (also known as Thera) was a poor and desolate place. There was no electricity while the island possessed only two hotels and a single taxi, whose driver was known as “George the Red” on account of his red hair. Most villages were accessible only by donkey. This wind-swept island, though, kept a great secret. Spyridon Marinatos was an archaeologist who believed that the great Minoan civilization of Crete perished because of a massive volcanic eruption on the island of Thera. This natural disaster caused a tsunami that destroyed the magnificent palaces and towns of Crete. Marinatos was certain that the volcanic soil of Thera preserved proof of his theory. In 1967, he began systematic excavations at Akrotiri. A lost civilization was about to emerge from the ashes.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Self-guided audio tour for your smartphone (Android & iOS) in English
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps)
- Link to activate and access your audio tour
- Entrance fee to the Akrotiri
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
- Charged smartphone
Directions to starting point
There is no meeting point. The self-guided audio tour is designed to start at the entrance of the archaeological site of Akrotiri which is located south of the modern village that bears the same name. The easiest way to get there is by car or by bus. Once you stop at the car park at the Akrotiri Red Beach, you get the road that takes you to the archaeological site. The tour ends inside the archaeological site.
- Xeste 4, 2 and 3
- Square of the double horns
- House of the Ladies
- West House
- Telchines Street
- Building Complex Beta
The archaeological site is open as following:
From Monday to Wednesday and Friday to Sunday: 08:00 – 20:00
Recommended visiting hours
Daily in the morning until noon and early in the afternoon ( but on Thursdays the site is closing at 15:30)
The entry ticket to the archaeological site is not included
Know before you book
- Please consider that admission fees for the archaeological site of Akrotiri are not included.
- This is a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone (accessible through our app).
- No live guide or meeting point provided.
- Book per device to be used, not per participant.
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS (version 15.0 and later) smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 6/6 Plus or older, iPod Touch 6th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Air 1st generation, iPad Mini 3rd generation or older.
- You will need storage space on your phone (100-150 MB).
- The archaeological site of Akrotiri is wheelchair accessible.
Know before you go
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged & that you bring your earphones
- Large backpacks and bulky bags/ luggage are not allowed in the archaeological site
- Wear comfortable shoes
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!
- Duration: 5 hours
- Audio available in 1 language