Audio ToursFrom 9,99€
Audio ToursFrom 11,99€
Experience Athens at your own pace with a combo audio tour for the city’s walking tour as well as Santorini’s biggest attraction, the Akrotiri with two captivating self-guided audio tours on your smartphone.
Receive the details by email, download the app and the audio tours on your phone, prior to your visit, and travel back in time to experience the grandeur of Athens from the city’s unique mysteries and stories to Santorini’s dazzling site of Akrotiri.
Put on your headphones and discover the city of Athens and the exquisite elegance of Akrotiri in Santorini through the power of storytelling and learn historical information and uncommon stories and anecdotes from the city’s unique past. The content of the tours is the result of in-depth research, squeezed into brief original stories that will make your visit both engaging and informative. The audio tours can be used repeatedly and anytime, before or after your visit.
This is an unmissable opportunity to gain valuable insights into Athens and Santorini’s Akrotiri and relate to your surroundings in an entirely original way.
The adventure begins
Once upon a time, Santorini (also known as Thera) was a poor and desolate place. There was no electricity while the island possessed only two hotels and a single taxi, whose driver was known as “George the Red” on account of his red hair. Most villages were accessible only by donkey. This wind-swept island, though, kept a great secret. Spyridon Marinatos was an archaeologist who believed that the great Minoan civilization of Crete perished because of a massive volcanic eruption on the island of Thera. This natural disaster caused a tsunami that destroyed the magnificent palaces and towns of Crete. Marinatos was certain that the volcanic soil of Thera preserved proof of his theory. In 1967, he began systematic excavations at Akrotiri. A lost civilization was about to emerge from the ashes.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Two self-guided audio tours for your smartphone (Android & iOS) in English
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps)
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
- Charged smartphone
Summer: (24 April – 1 October 2021)
The archaeological site is open as following:
- From Monday to Wednesday and Friday to Sunday: 08:00 – 20:00
- Tuesday: 08:00-15:30.
Recommended visiting hours
The Athens city tour can be taken whenever during the day. It is advisable to take the tour before sunset.
Know before you book
- This is a combination of 2 downloadable self-guided audio tours for your smartphone (accessible through our app)
- The 2 audio tours cover the city tour of Athens and the audio tour of Akrotiri in Santorini
- No live guide or meeting point provided.
- You will receive an email from the local supplier with important ticket & audio instructions.
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 5/5C or older, iPod Touch 5th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Mini 1st generation
- You will need storage space on your phone (350 MB)
Know before you go
- Download audio tours while on WiFi prior to your visit – no wifi/4G on-site
- Receive an email from the local supplier with audio instructions. Check your spam folder as well.
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged & that you bring your earphones
- Wear comfortable shoes, a hat and sunscreen during the hot summer months
Contributors and Bibliography
Athens city tour
Stop 1: © dronepicr / Wikimedia Commons
Stop 2: © Ntaltagianni Christina private collection
Stop 3: © C Messier/ Wikimedia Commons
Stop 5: © Barcex / Wikimedia Commons
Stop 6: © Ntaltagianni Christina private collection
Stop 7: © Barcex / Wikimedia Commons
Stop 8: © C messier / Wikimedia Commons
Stop 9: © Barcex / Wikimedia Commons
Stop 10: © Jeanhousen / Wikimedia Commons
Stop 11: © Ntaltagianni Christina private collection
Stop 12: © George E. Koronaios / Wikimedia Commons
Stop 13: © Jebulon / Wikimedia Commons
Stop 14: © Ntaltagianni Christina private collection
Stop 15: © Andreas Trepte / Wikimedia Commons
Stop 16: © George E. Koronaios / Wikimedia Commons
Stop 17: © Joanbanjo / Wikimedia Commons
Stop 18: © C messier / Wikimedia Commons
Stop 19: © Ntaltagianni Christina private collection
Stop 20: ©Reinhard Dietrich / Wikimedia Commons
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!