Visit the Temple of Olympian Zeus with an e-ticket combined with an inspiring self-guided audio tour on your smartphone.
Marvel at the remains of a colossal temple at the pulsating heart of Athens and end your walk with a stop at the balaneion, the Greek public bath. Step inside one of the most potent landmarks of Greece and enjoy a unique experience!
As you approach the Great Propylon, you will have the chance to freshen up your Greek Mythology and listen to the story of the Great Deluge, the divine wrath that fell upon humankind on a day when Zeus felt kind of stormy! Weaving through the enormous 17 metre-high pillars you will set on a riotous journey back in time to learn about the turbulent 700-year history of the construction of the temple and its fate throughout the centuries. At the same time, this is a gripping coming-of-age story of the city itself as it is rolled into a brilliantly tied narrative. Among many other stories, you will learn about the gory bloodbath upon which the city was founded by legendary Theseus, the attempts of an Athenian tyrant and a Roman emperor to juxtapose their rule over men to the celestial power of Zeus, as well as the event of a ferocious thunderstorm that brought about terrible damages to the temple and premonitions of imminent disaster among the locals in 19th century Athens. Finally, you will end your tour at close proximity to the temple, where you will discover the relics of an ancient bathhouse and learn about the rejuvenating benefits of public baths.
This is an unmissable opportunity to explore the largest temple of Ancient Greece and to see the city’s history coming to life through an award-winning storytelling concept!
The wrath of Zeus
Zeus called a council of the gods and informed them of his decision to cleanse the earth. There was widespread concern over the future, for if all mortals were dead, who could offer frankincense upon the altars? Zeus promised to people the earth with a miraculous new race. And then a practical problem arose: if he used his thunderbolts he might set the very air on fire and burn the axle of the universe. Far better to overwhelm the mortals beneath deep waves and storms. He shut all the winds that might dispel the clouds in a deep cave but allowed the south wind to bring drenching rain that descended from his wet beard and hoary locks.
Select date and participants
The entrance of the Olympieion
- Entrance fee/adult ticket for the Temple of Olympian Zeus
- Pre-booked ticket service (e-ticket sent to your email)
- Self-guided audio tour for your smartphone (Android & iOS) in English
- Offline content with an offline interactive map to avoid roaming charges
- Live Guide
- Smartphone and headphones
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
Know before you book
- This is a combination of a pre-booked e-ticket for the Temple of Olympian Zeus & a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone
- No live guide will accompany you. No VR / AR is included
- After booking, you will receive an email with instructions about your ticket & audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well.
- Booking requests received between 10.00 pm – 7.59 am will be served the next morning from 8.00 am
- An Android or iOS smartphone is required.
- The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 5/5C or older, iPod Touch 5th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Mini 1st generation
- EU citizens aged 0-25 years old, are entitled to have free admission tickets.
- From 1st of April to 31st of October Non-EU citizens, between 6 to 25 years old, upon presentation of their passport, are entitled to 50% reduced admission.
- Free/reduced admission tickets do not have to skip the line privileges and can only be acquired at the ticket booth on-site.
- Kindly note that due to the uneven ground this tour isn’t wheelchair accessible
- To receive a full refund, travellers may cancel up to 24 hours before the experience start date in the local timezone. No refunds will be given after that time period
Know before you go
- Keep in mind that internet access might be unavailable & mobile signal may be weak in the archaeological site. So please download the e-ticket and audio tour on your smartphone prior to your visit in order to enjoy it offline
- Proceed to the validating machines to scan your tickets. Tickets need to be either printed or downloaded on your phone
- The audio tour can be used anytime, online or offline.
- Use your headphones to best enjoy it
Temple of Olympian Zeus, Zappeion
1 November – 31 March 8:30 a.m.- 4:00 p.m.
1 April – 15 May: 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
16 May – 31 August: 8:00 a.m.- 8:00 p.m.
September: 8:00 a.m.- 7:30 p.m.
October: 8:00 a.m.- 6:30 p.m.
Directions to Starting Point
The Temple of Olympian Zeus is a mere 4 minutes from the Acropolis metro station. You’ll take the exit towards Makrigianni street and walk up the road until you reach Dionysiou Areopagitou. From there, you’ll turn right and walk about 40 meters to arrive at Vasilissis Amalias avenue. Just behind Hadrian’s Arch, you will see the imposing view of the Temple of Zeus.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
Why take a self-guided tour?
This is a self-guided tour based on the award-winning storytelling concept developed by Clio Muse and the fascinating narratives prepared by our handpicked destination experts.
You can enjoy each multilingual tour by using your smartphone or tablet at your own pace even if you are offline. The interactive map on your screen will guide you step-by-step as you explore all points of interest along your route. Each stop comes with a selection of our signature stories allowing you to tailor the tour experience to your personal interests and schedule.
After downloading Clio Muse app, you can access this tour and activate it any moment you wish and also repeat it any time. To best enjoy our multimedia self-guided tour (comprising maps, video, audio and text) we recommend the use of headphones.