$ 10,69 per person
A town chosen by goddess Athena as her own must be quite the place. The Athenians believed they were born from the soil and never changed their place of habitation. The countless layers of history you discover as you walk downtown prove them right. Explore Athens with a self-guided city walking tour on your phone designed by an accredited expert and lose yourself in the beauty of its stories.
Listen to fascinating stories, based on an award-winning storytelling concept, and gain great insights into the long and fascinating history of Athens. Start your tour from Syntagma square, one of the landmarks of the city, and then continue to explore the best sites of the city, feeling like a local. This is an unmissable opportunity to experience Athens at your own pace and find out the hidden corners of it with a captivating audio tour on your phone.
* Ticket/entrance fee to the museums or other sites is not included.
The first constitution
Syntagma Square is an emblematic space for staging democratic demands. It was renamed after the 3 September 1843 Revolution that demanded the replacement of absolute monarchy with constitutional monarchy through a written constitution. The immediate cause of the revolt was the frustration felt by the leek War of Independence leaders at their exclusion from the government and the excessive influence of Bavarian officials. On the night of 3 September 1843, Colonel Dimitrios Kallergis (Commander of the Athens cavalry) gathered his men from their barracks and headed toward the palace. There they shouted, “Long live the Constitution” beneath the king's windows. King Otto yielded to their demands the following day and granted the first constitution of Greece. Ever since, Syntagma Square has become the focal point for mass public demonstrations, celebrations, and political rallies.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Self-guided audio tour for your smartphone (Android & iOS) in English or Greek
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps)
- Link to activate and access your audio tour
- Entrance fee to the museums and monuments
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
- Charged smartphone
- Syntagma Square
- Old Royal Palace/Parliament House
- Numismatic Museum of Athens
- Athenian Trilogy
- Klafthmonos Square
- Omonoia Square
- Kotzia Square
- Athens Central Market
- Hadrian’s Library
- Ancient Agora of Athens
- Sanctuary of Pan
Recommended visiting hours
It is recommended to have the tour before sunset
The entrance ticket for museums and archaeological sites is not included
Know before you book
- Please consider that admission fees for the museums, archaeological sites, and monuments are not included.
- This is a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone (accessible through our app).
- No live guide or meeting point provided.
- You will receive an email from the local supplier with important audio instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well.
- Book per device to be used, not per participant.
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS (version 15.0 and later) smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 6/6 Plus or older, iPod Touch 6th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Air 1st generation, iPad Mini 3rd generation or older.
- You will need storage space on your phone (100-150 MB).
- Please keep in mind that it is a walking city tour and for that reason it is wheelchair accessible.
Know before you go
- Mobile signal may be weak at the site(s). Download the audio tour on your smartphone prior to your visit to avoid connectivity issues and enjoy it offline
- Admission fees are not included in this product
- The audio tour can be used repeatedly both online and offline
- Ensure you have a fully charged device and earphones/headphones
- Please wear sunscreen and a hat during the hot summer months
Contributors and Bibliography
Stop 1: © dronepicr / Wikimedia Commons
Stop 2: © Ntaltagianni Christina private collection
Stop 3: © C Messier/ Wikimedia Commons
Stop 5: © Barcex / Wikimedia Commons
Stop 6: © Ntaltagianni Christina private collection
Stop 7: © Barcex / Wikimedia Commons
Stop 8: © C messier / Wikimedia Commons
Stop 9: © Barcex / Wikimedia Commons
Stop 10: © Jeanhousen / Wikimedia Commons
Stop 11: © Ntaltagianni Christina private collection
Stop 12: © George E. Koronaios / Wikimedia Commons
Stop 13: © Jebulon / Wikimedia Commons
Stop 14: © Ntaltagianni Christina private collection
Stop 15: © Andreas Trepte / Wikimedia Commons
Stop 16: © George E. Koronaios / Wikimedia Commons
Stop 17: © Joanbanjo / Wikimedia Commons
Stop 18: © C messier / Wikimedia Commons
Stop 19: © Ntaltagianni Christina private collection
Stop 20: ©Reinhard Dietrich / Wikimedia Commons
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!