From per person
An imperial city deserves a museum able to display its rich cultural heritage. The Byzantine Empire was a political, economic and cultural powerhouse for a millennium and Thessaloniki was its second most important city after Constantinople. The Museum of Byzantine Culture opens a stunning window to a civilisation unlike any other.
Experience the Museum of Byzantine Culture in Thessaloniki at your own pace with a skip-the-line e-ticket and a captivating self-guided audio tour on your smartphone.
Receive your ticket by email, download the app and the audio tour on your phone, prior to your visit, and travel back in time to experience the glory of some of the most prominent items in the collections of the Museum of Byzantine Culture in Thessaloniki
Put on your headphones and discover the Wall mosaic from Acheiropoietos Church, the Silver reliquary and The tomb of Eustorgios through the power of storytelling, while learning historical information and uncommon stories and anecdotes from the past.Tour’s content is the result of in-depth research, distilled into brief original stories that will make your visit both engaging and informative. The audio tour can be used repeatedly and at any time, before or after your visit.
This is an unmissable opportunity to gain valuable insights into Byzantine history and beyond, and relate to the exhibits in the Museum of Byzantine Culture in Thessaloniki in an entirely original way.
European Museum of the Year
The wealth of mediaeval archaeological discoveries in Thessaloniki required a proper museum for their exhibition. The first proposal was submitted in 1913, but it was only eight decades later that the Museum of Byzantine Culture was finally ready to receive its first guests. The building was designed by the internationally renowned architect and painter Kyriakos Krokos, who envisioned ‘a space where movement gives a sense of freedom by invigorating the senses, and where the exhibit becomes a surprise during movement’. Krokos’ design received widespread acclaim. In 2005, the Museum of Byzantine Culture received the “European Museum of the Year” award. The collection includes more than 46,000 artefacts dating from the second to the twentieth centuries.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Adult entry ticket to the Museum of Byzantine Culture in Thessaloniki
- Skip-the-line service
- Self-guided audio tour on your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps) to avoid roaming charges
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Charged smartphone
Charged smartphone, headphones
There is no meeting point. The self-guided audio tour is designed to start at the Entrance of the Museum (Leof. Stratou 2, Thessaloniki 546 40). You can reach the Museum of Byzantine Culture in Thessaloniki via a city bus. Reach the bus stop Museum of Byzantine Culture via the lines 3,5,6,33,39,78. The tour ends at the entrance of the Museum of Byzantine Culture in Thessaloniki (Leof. Stratou 2, Thessaloniki 546 40).
- 1st November to 31st March 08:30 – 15:30
- 1st April to 31st October 08:00 – 20:00
Know before you book
- This is a combination of a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone (accessible through our app) and an entry ticket for the Museum of Byzantine Culture.
- No live guide or meeting point provided.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well.
- The course of the visit may be modified and special restrictions may be imposed. The visitors must always adhere to the guidelines of the site.
- Book per device to be used, not per participant.
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS (version 15.0 and later) smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 6/6 Plus or older, iPod Touch 6th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Air 1st generation, iPad Mini 3rd generation or older.
- You will need storage space on your phone (100—150 MB).
- Free and reduced admission tickets do not have skip-the-line privileges and can only be acquired at the ticket booth on-site.
- Both the Museum building itself and its exhibition spaces, are accessible to people with special mobility needs.
Know before you go
- Download the ticket(s) and audio tour while on WiFi prior to your visit. Mobile signal may be weak at the site(s).
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged and that you bring your earphones
- Guided visits for the visually impaired persons, prior reservation needed
- Tactile labels for the permanent collection
- Tactile stations
Contributors and Bibliography
© Clio Muse Tours
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!