From per person
The Mosque-Cathedral of Cordoba has had many lives since its construction in 785: first as a mosque for almost 600 years in Muslim Al-Andalus, then as a cathedral after the Christian conquest and in modern times as a National Monument, a UNESCO world heritage site and to this day a place of intercultural and religious exchange as well as conflict.
Experience the Cordoba Mosque-Cathedral at your own pace with an e-ticket and a fascinating self-guided audio tour on your smartphone.
Receive your ticket by email, download the app and the audio tour on your phone, prior to your visit, and travel back in time to experience the glory of the Cordoba Mosque-Cathedral.
Put on your headphones and discover the breathtaking Outside of the Mezquita’s entrance and continue on to discover Puerta del Perdón before going in to get fascinated by its amazing treasures through the power of storytelling and learn historical information and uncommon stories and anecdotes regarding this construction jewel. Tour’s content is the result of in-depth research, squeezed into brief original stories that will make your visit both engaging and informative. The audio tour can be used repeatedly and anytime, before or after your visit.
This is an unmissable opportunity to gain valuable insights into the breathtaking Cordoba Mosque-Cathedral and relate to your surroundings in an entirely original way.
Birth and Origin
At the beginning of the 8th century, the Iberian Peninsula was ruled by the Visigoths, who had migrated from Italy to Spain in the 5th century and had already converted to Christianity from paganism. However, their rule came to an end in 711, when the Umayyad Dynasty conquered almost the entirety of Iberia. Yet by the middle of the century, the Umayyads themselves fell victim to a revolution in their homeland, with the last remaining Prince, Abd al-Rahman I, being forced to flee to Iberia. The Prince initiated the construction of this mosque in 785-786, as a foundational building of his new Kingdom, the Emirate of Cordoba. His successors expanded the building several times to accommodate the ever-growing number of worshippers, and largely followed the aesthetic of the original 8th-century building, resulting in a harmonic and consistent aesthetic within its Islamic parts.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Adult entry ticket to Cordoba Mosque-Cathedral
- Self-guided audio tour on your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps) to avoid roaming charges
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Charged smartphone
Entrance of the Mosque Cathedral
Directions to starting point
The self-guided audio tour is designed to start Outside the Mezquita’s entrance of the Mosque Cathedral (C. Cardenal Herrero, 1, 14003 Córdoba, Spain). The easiest way to get there is by the bus station Puerta del Puente (14003, Córdoba, Spain), and then walking 300 meters toward the Cathedral.
Monday – Saturday from 10 am to 6 pm
Recommended visiting hours
Monday – Saturday from 10 am to 6 pm
Know before you book
- This is a combination of a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone (accessible through our app) and an entry ticket for Cordoba Mosque-Cathedral.
- No live guide or meeting point provided.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well.
- The course of the visit may be modified and special restrictions may be imposed. The visitors must always adhere to the guidelines of the site.
- Book per device to be used, not per participant.
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS (version 15.0 and later) smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 6/6 Plus or older, iPod Touch 6th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Air 1st generation, iPad Mini 3rd generation or older.
- You will need storage space on your phone (100-150 MB)
- Free and reduced admission tickets do not have pre-booking privileges and can only be acquired at the ticket booth on-site.
Know before you go
- Download the ticket(s) & audio tour while on WiFi prior to your visit. Mobile signal may be weak at the site(s).
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged & that you bring your earphones
- Wear comfortable shoes
- Make sure that you have your identity or your passport
- Due to high temperatures, bring with you sun protection
- The ideal time to visit the temple is early morning or early evening
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!