$ 12,82 per person
Waltz in the National Sintra Palace with a self-guided audio tour on your phone designed by an accredited expert. Listen to fascinating stories, based on an award-winning storytelling concept, and gain great insights into the most iconic landmarks of Sintra. Start your tour from Queen Amélia’s Square and then continue to explore the lavish spaces once inhabited by the country’s noble families.
This is an unmissable opportunity to experience at your own pace the National Sintra Palace
with a captivating audio tour on your phone.
* * Ticket/entrance fee to the National Sintra Palace is not included.
A Game of Thrones
Sintra was under Islamic rule from 711 AD. as part of the Balata region of the Al-Andalus. This Muslim empire controlled the Iberian Peninsula for nearly four centuries. Known then as as-Shantara, Sintra was a defensive stronghold overlooking Lisbon, an important city of the Islamic kingdom of the Al-Andalus. The geographer al-Bacr described Sintra as having two castles: one atop the mountain, the Moorish Castle, and the second built in the heart of Sintra. Nothing survives of the Sintra fortress. When Lisbon was taken in 1147 by Christians, it was the start of the Islamic empire’s decline, and soon after, Sintra would follow. Over time, Sintra became an important centre for Portuguese royalty, serving as a summer retreat for many of the country's monarchs. Under various dynasties, including the House of Burgundy (1093-1383 AD), the House of Aviz (1385-1580 AD), and the House of Braganza (1640-1910 AD), the palace in Sintra underwent significant expansions and renovations.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Self-guided audio tour on your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps) to avoid roaming charges
- Entrance ticket to the National Sintra Palace
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Charged smartphone
There is no meeting point. The self-guided audio tour is designed to start at the entrance of the National Sintra Palace (Largo Rainha Dona Amélia, 2710-616 Sintra). The easiest way to get there is by reaching the Sintra train station (2710-590 Sintra, Portugal) and then walking 12 minutes via Volta do Duche street towards the palace.
The Swan Room| The Magpie Room| Heraldic Hall
Opening hours for National Sintra Palace
Recommended visiting hours
09:30 – 18:30
Last ticket and last admission:
09:30 – 18:30
Last Admission: 18:00
Know before you book
- Please consider that admission fees for the National Sintra Palace are not included.
- This is a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone, accessible through our app. No live guide will accompany you. No VR / AR is included
- No live guide or meeting point provided.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Check your spam folder as well
- Book per device to be used, not per participant
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS (version 15.0 and later) smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 6/6 Plus or older, iPod Touch 6th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Air 1st generation, iPad Mini 3rd generation or older.
- You will need storage space on your phone (100-150 MB)
- The National Palace of Sintra is partly wheelchair accessible. It’s recommended to make a reservation in advance to ensure that ramps are available.
Know before you go
- Mobile signal may be weak at the site(s). Download your audio tour on your smartphone prior to your visit to fully enjoy it.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged & that you bring your earphones
- Entering the Palace with food products or smoking is not allowed
Contributors and Bibliography
© Clio Muse Tours
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!