De Wallen: The Red Light District self-guided Virtual Experience
From: 12,99€ per person
Self-guided audio tourFollow the story at your own pace
From: 12,99€ per person
Experience the De Wallen from the comfort of your home with an engaging self-guided virtual tour narrated in English, from your PC or smartphone browser. It’s so simple! You will receive an email with the tour link and instructions, and in a couple of minutes, you will travel back in time and enjoy a virtual journey from the comfort of your couch!
Through the power of storytelling combined with street and satellite views, you will discover not only historical facts but also unknown stories and tales of ancient and modern times that will amaze your family and friends. The tour’s content is the result of in-depth research, squeezed into brief intriguing stories that will make your virtual visit both engaging and informative. The tour is only available online and you can access it repeatedly anytime.
This is an unmissable opportunity to gain valuable insights into the Red Light District of De Wallen and immerse yourself in the surroundings in an entirely innovative way.
All this changed on May 26, 1578, when the Roman Catholic city government was replaced by a Protestant one. The “Alteratie” (Alteration) was a bloodless coup but it had important consequences for the city and its churches. Saint Nicholas was renamed Oude Kerk and its interior was much altered in a violent fashion; the windows were smashed and the statues were removed. The authorities also eliminated the organ but were eventually forced to bring it back because people could not stay on key while singing hymns without it. An inscription commemorates these events: “The false practices introduced into the church of God were undone here in the year 78.”
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Virtual Self-guided Tour for the Red Light District with satellite & street views
- Audio content with engaging original stories in English
- Live Guide
- Offline access
- Desktop, laptop or smartphone device
- Internet connection
Oude Kerk: a building that captures the history of the city within its walls, is the Oude Kerk, the oldest parish church (and building) in Amsterdam. It stands there since almost the very beginning and literally houses the lives of countless citizens.
The Belle statue: In the heart of the Red Light District, outside the Oude Kerk, the statue of “Belle” asks all passersby to “Respect sex workers all over the world”. After all, the neighborhood became famous due to its housing as the world’s oldest profession.
Nieuwmarkt: Amsterdam’s busy market square, home to the iconic Waag building. Here, you’ll discover the stories of a unique heritage site that once functioned as a city gate of Amsterdam and later became the city’s main guild-house
Know before you book
- This is a virtual tour for the De Wallen that you can take from the comfort of your home and feel like you were there
- No live guide or meeting point required
- You will receive an email from the local supplier with instructions on how to access your tour via a link. Check your spam folder as well
- No special equipment is needed (i.e. special glasses). However, earphones or headphones are highly recommended to enjoy the experience.
- This product can be accessed from any web browser and requires internet connection. The tour is available only online. The virtual tour doesn’t require a visit to the site.
Cancellation Policy: This product cannot be refunded once activated.
- Duration: 1h 10min