Amsterdam City Tour: History in the canals
Waltz in Amsterdam with a self-guided audio tour on your phone designed by an accredited expert. Listen to fascinating stories, based on an award-winning storytelling concept, and gain great insights into the fascinating history of Amsterdam. Start your tour from the Central Station, one of the landmarks of the city, and then continue to explore the best sites of the city, feeling like a local.
The canals, the memories of the Dutch Golden Age, the popular coffee shops, the art, and the vibrant nightlife compose the history of Amsterdam. Welcome to its heart and let the city whisper to you its stories. This is an unmissable opportunity to experience at your own pace Amsterdam and find out the hidden corners of it with a captivating audio tour on your phone.
* * Ticket/entrance fee to the museums or other sites is not included.
Main picture source: © Nikolai Karaneschev
In search of an identity
Built between 1881 and 1889, the Amsterdam Central Station is the heart of the city. It is a building that was designed to give the city and its people a sense of identity. The government commissioned Petrus Cuypers (1827-1921), the architect of the Rijkmuseum, for its construction. Richly decorated on its facade and in the interior by the Austrian-Dutch painter and draftsman George Sturm (1855-1923), the Central Station features neo-gothic and renaissance architectural elements, as well as typical Dutch features, like the bell and neck gables, which were incorporated as a reminder of the country’s past and heritage. Among its most beautiful parts is the Royal Pavilion with the exquisite ornamental gate; It is located in the eastern wing of the station and was destined to house the queen’s carriage. Today the station connects Amsterdam to the rest of the continent and stands out as one of the most recognizable structures in the city and one of the most attractive station buildings across Europe.
Contributors and Bibliography
Stationsplein, 1012 AB Amsterdam
- Self-guided audio tour in English for your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Offline content with an offline interactive map to avoid roaming charges
- Entrance fees/tickets to sites
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
Know before you book
- This is a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone. No live guide will accompany you. No VR / AR is included
- Please consider that this is an audio tour to explore Amsterdam at your own pace
- Admission fees are not included in the price
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access your audio tour
- An Android or iOS smartphone is required
- The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 5/5C or older, iPod Touch 5th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Mini 1st generation
- Please ensure you have enough storage space (100-150 MB)
- Book per device to be used, not per participant
- Non refundable once activated.
Know before you go
- Mobile signal may be weak at the site(s). Download the audio tour on your smartphone prior to your visit to avoid connectivity issues and enjoy it offline
- The audio tour can be used repeatedly both online and offline
- Ensure you have a fully charged device and earphones/headphones
- Central Station
- Beurs van Berlage
- Dam Square
- Royal Palace
- Civic Guards Gallery
- Munt Tower
- Flower Market
- De Blauwbrug
Recommended visiting hours
It is better to have the tour before the sunset and preferably in the morning.
The entrance ticket for churches, museums and galleries is not included
Directions to Starting Point
Metro: 51, 52, 53, 54 & Tramway: 2, 4, 12, 13, 14, 17, 24, 26
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
Why take a self-guided tour?
This is a self-guided tour based on the award-winning storytelling concept developed by Clio Muse and the fascinating narratives prepared by our handpicked destination experts.
You can enjoy each multilingual tour by using your smartphone or tablet at your own pace even if you are offline. The interactive map on your screen will guide you step-by-step as you explore all points of interest along your route. Each stop comes with a selection of our signature stories allowing you to tailor the tour experience to your personal interests and schedule.
After downloading Clio Muse app, you can access this tour and activate it any moment you wish and also repeat it any time. To best enjoy our multimedia self-guided tour (comprising maps, video, audio and text) we recommend the use of headphones.