$ 10,69 per person
Experience the historical center of Athens, the area of Plaka, that belongs to the cats from the comfort of your home with an engaging self-guided virtual tour, narrated in English, from your PC or smartphone browser. It’s so simple! You will receive an email with the tour link with instructions and, in a couple of minutes, you will travel back in time and enjoy a virtual journey from the comfort of your couch!
Through the power of storytelling combined with street and satellite views, you will learn not only about historical facts but also discover unknown stories and tales of ancient and modern times about the beloved cats that will amaze your family and friends. The tour’s content is the result of in-depth research, squeezed into brief intriguing stories that will make your virtual visit both engaging and informative. The tour is only available online and you can access it repeatedly and anytime.
This is an unmissable opportunity to gain valuable insights into the journey of the cats of Athens, the architecture of the city and immerse yourself in the surroundings in an entirely innovative way.
Not your average cat
Some aristocratic homes in ancient Athens were not satisfied with a regular cat as a pet. The scions of the wealthier families demonstrated rather exotic preferences and some young men walked the streets of Athens holding a small leopard or even a cheetah. The detailed depictions on ancient pottery prove almost beyond doubt that the artists had seen these felines up close. It would not have been impossible since the cheetah is considered the easiest of the wild cats to tame. Once tamed, a person can approach the cheetah and pet it; the usual reaction is either complete indifference or a loud purr.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Virtual Self-guided Tour for the Athens historic center with satellite & street views
- Audio content with engaging & original stories in English
- Live Guide
- Offline access
- Desktop, laptop or smartphone device
- Internet connection
Anafiotika (8min): Watch the Greek light dance on the colourful fur of cats in Anafiotika as you read about the sudden appearance of black and white cats 2000 years ago. When the cats first appeared in the city and where did they come from?
Ancient Agora (7min): Hear the primordial purring of the cats as you overlook the Ancient Agora, where the aristocrats used to take their leopards for a walk. Listen to the stories and find out how Aristotle, the famous philosopher, described the cats.
Roman Agora (7 min): When the Romans conquered Athens, they established their own Agora where today the cats roam freely in the ruins. Feel the glories of the Roman era, the Byzantine and Ottoman past that surround you in the Roman Agora, as you learn about the role and the mission of the cats during the Roman times.
Know before you book
- This is a virtual tour for the historical center of Athens that you can take from the comfort of your home and feel like you were there
- No live guide or meeting point required
- You will receive an email with instructions on how to access your tour via a link. Check your spam folder as well
- No special equipment is needed (i.e. special glasses). However, earphones or headphones are highly recommended to enjoy the experience.
- This product can be accessed from any web browser and requires internet connection. The tour is available only online. The virtual tour doesn’t require a visit to the site
Cancellation Policy: This product cannot be refunded once activated.