$ 13,89 per person
Experience the archaeological site of Ancient Olympia from the comfort of your home with an engaging self-guided virtual tour, narrated in English, from your PC or smartphone browser. It’s so simple! You will receive an email with the tour link with instructions and, in a couple of minutes, you will travel back in time and enjoy a virtual journey from the comfort of your couch!
Through the power of storytelling combined with street and satellite views, you will learn not only about historical facts but also discover unknown stories and tales of ancient and modern times that will amaze your family and friends. The tour’s content is the result of in-depth research, squeezed into brief intriguing stories that will make your virtual visit both engaging and informative. The tour is only available online and you can access it repeatedly and anytime.
This is an unmissable opportunity to gain valuable insights into the birthplace of the Olympic Games and immerse yourself in the surroundings in an entirely innovative way.
The Arrogance of Power
Philippeion was an unusual building in every respect. It is the only circular building in Olympia, consisting of an outer colonnade of 18 Ionic columns and an inner colonnade of Corinthian semicolumns. Its marble roof, which ended in a bronze flower bush, added extra luxury to the building. However, its construction probably did not delight most Greeks. Built-in the most sacred area of Olympia, Sacred Altis, it was the only building of a non-religious character and testifies to the absolute sovereignty of the Macedonians in the Greek territory during the specific period. The definitive event for their dominance was the Battle of Chaeronea, in which Philip II and Alexander defeated the Athenians, the Boeotians, and their allies.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Virtual Self-guided Tour for the archeological site of Ancient Olympia with satellite & street views
- Audio content with engaging & original stories in English
- Live Guide
- Offline access
- Desktop, laptop or smartphone device
- Internet connection
Ancient Gymnasium: Your virtual tour begins by introducing you to the Ancient Gymnasium of Olympia, where you will learn about the values of the ancient Greeks, their attitude towards health and wellbeing, and the training of the athletes described as the best of Greeks.
The Prytaneion: How the Olympic Games end? Can you guess? The right answer is with songs and celebrations performed at the area of Prytaneion in honor of the winners. Listen to the stories and learn about the victory meals that will give you the inspiration you need for your dinners.
Temple of Hera: As you explore the archaic Temple of Hera, you will learn about the Heraean games, an ancient female running event lost in the mists of time. You will also discover the famous setting where the Olympic fire is lit every four years.
Ancient Stadium: Obviously, one of the highlights of this virtual visit will be the Ancient Stadium. You’ll see the monumental portico, the so-called Krypte, which has been crossed by countless ancient youths dreaming to meet glory and you’ll feel that you step in the celebrated stadium to listen to the riveting stories of real and mythical athletic events tied to the history of Olympia.
Know before you book
- This is a virtual tour for the archaeological site of Ancient Olympia that you can take from the comfort of your home and feel like you were there
- No live guide or meeting point required
- You will receive an email with instructions on how to access your tour via a link. Check your spam folder as well
- No special equipment is needed (i.e. special glasses). However, earphones or headphones are highly recommended to enjoy the experience.
- This product can be accessed from any web browser and requires internet connection. The tour is available only online. The virtual tour doesn’t require a visit to the site
Cancellation Policy: This product cannot be refunded once activated.