The Treasures of the Vatican Museums
Self-guided audio tourFollow the story at your own pace
English, Deutsch, ItalianoFor both audio and stories included
Experience at your own pace the Vatican Museums & the Sistine Chapel with a fascinating audio tour on your smartphone!
Set out on a riveting journey through religious history and art in the museum where the heart of Italian Renaissance beats. From the first stop in the dazzling Cortile del Belvedere to the very last in front of the iconic “Last Judgement”, this is a vivid medley of color & arresting stories!
Guided by your immersive audio tour, you will explore the Gallery of the Candelabras, Raphael’s Rooms, the Gallery of the Maps & the Gallery of Tapestries among many more richly adorned rooms of the Museum. Finally, your visit will culminate with Michelangelo’s masterpieces in the Sistine Chapel.
This audio tour offers an unmissable opportunity to gain valuable insights into the treasures of the Vatican Museums through a fun and engaging storytelling concept.
* Ticket/entrance fee to the Vatican Museums & the Sistine Chapel is not included
The Space between the fingers
«I’m a sculptor, not a painter!» cried Michelangelo upon being given the task of painting the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. The troubled artist had to engage in an almost 5-year endeavor with the fresco technique, which he was not familiar with, and present in nine panels the story of Genesis: the creation of the universe, of man, and man after the fall. In the central panel, Adam is in a reclined position sitting in mud, showing us how he is receiving life from his Creator God. Yet one leg is also bent, as if Adam is ready to get up. All of the figures in the ceiling seem to swirl around the two fingers, one of Adam, and one of God, that are not touching. After receiving everything from God, Adam has the option to unite himself with his Creator. And what will the result be? The unoccupied space between the two figures represents our freedom of choice, for Adam represents every man, who is able to respond in his own free will.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Self-guided audio tour for your smartphone (Android & iOS) in English
- Offline content with an offline interactive map to avoid roaming charges
- Entrance fee to the Vatican Museums & the Sistine Chapel
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Charged smartphone
Charged smartphone, headphones, (comfortable shoes, hat & sunscreen)
There is no meeting point. The self-guided audio tour is designed to start at the entrance of the North entrance of the Vatican Museum (Viale Vaticano 100, Vatican City, Rome).
Directions to starting point
The self-guided audio tour is designed to start at the entrance of the North entrance of the Vatican Museum (Viale Vaticano 100, Vatican City, Rome).
Pineone Courtyard, Pio Clementine Museum, Gallery of the Candellabras, Gallery of the Tapestries, Gallery of the Maps, Sobieski Room, Room of the Immaculate Conception, Raphael Rooms, Contemporary Art and Borgia Apartments, Sistine Chapel
Monday through Saturday, 8:30 am to 6:30 pm. The entrance doors close at 4:30 pm.
From April to October, the Vatican is also open in the evenings from 7-11pm. Some sections, however, such as the Pinacoteca, are closed.
Closed: on Sundays and religious holidays
Recommended visiting hours
Monday through Saturday, 9am to 6pm. The entrance doors close at 4:00 pm. Last Entrance into the Sistine Chapel is 5:30pm. The last Sunday of the month the Museums are free (not recommended to visit at this time). From April to October, the Vatican is also open in the evenings from 7-11pm. Some sections, however, such as the Pinacoteca, are closed. Closed: on Sundays and religious holidays
Full price ticket: Euro 17,00.
Reduced ticket: Euro 8,00.
Know before you book
- This is a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone. No live guide will accompany you. No VR / AR is included
- Please consider that admission fee for the Vatican Museums is not included
- Please book per device to be used, not per participant
- After booking, you will receive an email from Clio Muse Tours, with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Please note that for the audio tour you must have an Android or iOS smartphone and make sure you have enough storage space on your phone (100-150 MB)
Know before you go
- Check the email that you’ve received from Clio Muse Tours, and follow the instructions in order to access your tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Please consider that internet access might be unavailable & mobile signal may be weak in public areas. So kindly, download the tour on your smartphone, prior to your visit, to access them offline and avoid roaming charges
- The audio tour can be used repeatedly both online and offline. Use your headphones to best enjoy it
- Prior to your visit, make sure that your smartphone is fully charged & that you bring on a pair of earphones/headphones
- Kindly note that to enter the Vatican museums you need to showcase your ID or passport and that all visitors go through a security check-in
- The Vatican Museums are wheelchair accessible offering free wheelchairs (subject to availability). Kindly note that to hire a wheelchair, it is necessary to present your ID and a deposit at the Reception desks in the hall of the Museums
- Please consider that parts of the Museums covered by the audio tour are not wheelchair accessible
Contributors and Bibliography
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!