Discover Sant’ Angelo castle at your own pace, with a fascinating self-guided audio tour on your smartphone.
Enter the castle and explore its gems with an award-winning storytelling concept. Once you’ve entered the historic castle, you’ll head toward a large open space, once home to the executions courtyard. There, you’ll listen to the stories of famous heretics tortured by the Roman Inquisition. Getting deeper into the castle, you’ll learn about its early history as a Mausoleum for Emperors. You’ll climb up the 2nd-century brick-walled ramp leading to the room where the cinerary urns of Hadrian and his family were once placed. During your visit, you’ll also admire in awe the luxurious Sala Paolina, the beauty of Perino Del Vaga’s decorative complex and the stunning Room of Cupid and Psyche.
Obviously, one of the highlights of your tour will be the visit to the castle’s terrace! From there you’ll take glimpses of the famous Passetto di Borgo, the once-secret passageway of the Popes! The iconic statue of the Angel standing imposingly on the rooftop will also greet you before leaving the dreamy castle. Having enjoyed a mesmerizing panorama of the Eternal city, you’ll head to Ponte Sant’ Angelo to end your tour with the stories and legends of the prettiest bridge that spans the river Tiber!
This is an unmissable opportunity to discover the stories of a monument tied to the history of Rome!
* Ticket/entrance fee to Castel Sant’ Angelo is not included.
A Place to Feel Safe
Since the castle was impregnable, Pope Nicholas III Orsini decided to have it connected with the Vatican Palaces through the Passetto di Borgo, an elevated passage linking Castel Sant’ Angelo with the Vatican city. From this moment on, the Castle would remain tied to the history of the Popes, who used it as their fortress and shelter at times of danger. The perimeter walls were added and many additional improvements were commissioned so that the castle could accommodate the papal apartments. Alexander VI Borgia had a new apartment built and commissioned the frescoes to Pinturicchio while Clement VII had a private bathroom decorated with pagan motifs constructed for him.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Charged smartphone
Charged Android / iOS smartphone & headphones
Entrance of Castel St’ Angelo
Ponte Sant’Angelo, 00186 Roma RM, Italy
Τhe Executions Court, the Room of the Urns, the Armeria, the Paolina Hall, the Room of Cupid and Psyche, the Treasure Room, the Cagliostra, the Terrace, Passetto di Borgo, the Statue of the Angel, Sant’Angelo Bridge
Every day except Monday 9.00 – 18.00
Full price ticket is 17,5 euros
Reduced price ticket from 18- 25 is 3 euros
Know before you book
- This is a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone. No live guide will accompany you. No VR / AR is included
- Please consider that admission fee for Castel Sant’ Angelo is not included
- Please book per device to be used, not per participant
- After booking, you will receive an email from Clio Muse Tours, with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Please note that for the audio tour you must have an Android or iOS smartphone and make sure you have enough storage space on your phone (100-150 MB)
- The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 5/5C or older, iPod Touch 5th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Mini 1st generation
- Non refundable once activated
Know before you go
- Check the email that you’ve received from Clio Muse Tours, and follow the instructions in order to access your tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Please consider that internet access might be unavailable & mobile signal may be weak in public areas. So kindly, download the tour on your smartphone, prior to your visit, to access them offline and avoid roaming charges
- The audio tour can be used repeatedly both online and offline. Use your headphones to best enjoy it
- Prior to your visit, make sure that your smartphone is fully charged & that you bring on a pair of earphones/headphones
- All visitors go through security check-in. Please consider that large backpacks and bulky bags/ luggage are not allowed in the site
- Please note that not all parts of the site are wheelchair accessible
Contributors and Bibliography
Website url: https://www.cliomusetours.com
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!