Step into the shoes of the fearless gladiators in the iconic Colosseum with an immersive audio tour on your smartphone.
Experience the grandeur of ancient Rome, listening to a brilliantly tied narrative that will fire up your imagination. Your tour begins at the individual visitors’ entrance, easily reached from the Colosseum square. It is time to admire the fabled Arena! It evokes memories of ancient gladiatorial fights and wild beasts. Of course, as you walk along the crater-like Cavea, you’ll recapture the amazement of the public. They shouted and cheered at the sight of blood, while in the dark undergrounds the wild animals were roaring and desperate men were waiting to meet death!
Once you’ve explored the Colosseum from inside, you’ll experience the surroundings of the grand amphitheater. Your audio tour will guide your steps to the impressive triumphal arch of Constantine. Here, you’ll learn about the victory of Christianity and the death of the pagan world. Finally, your tour culminates in front of the Stern Abutment, where you’ll listen to the stories about the monument’s successive restorations and transformations.
This tour offers the ideal opportunity to enjoy a fascinating visit to the Colosseum and get to know its secrets inside out!
*Kindly note that this product does not include an entry ticket to the Colosseum
Let’s get the party started!
The construction of the Colosseum began during the reign of Emperor Vespasian, but it was his son Titus who inaugurated the amphitheater, in the year 80 CE. The opening ceremony was held with all the spectacle and grandeur that the event had to entail. Three-month long games were organized as part of the grand inauguration with the events being scheduled according to the customary way; the hunts in the morning, the executions at midday and the gladiatorial combats in the afternoon. Of course, all this was realized at the expense of human lives and thousands of animals, as 2000 gladiators and 9000 animals died during Titus’ inauguration games.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Self-guided audio tour for your smartphone (Android & iOS) in English
- Offline content with an offline interactive map to avoid roaming charges
- Entrance fee/ ticket to the Colosseum
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Internet access might be unavailable & mobile signal may be weak in public areas
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Charged smartphone
Directions to starting point
The audio tour is designed to begin in the individual visitors’ entrance gate of the Colosseum (Piazza del Colosseo, 58, 00184 Roma RM, Italy)
Arena, Basements, Pope’s Cross, Cavea, Daises, Colosseum Square, Arch of Constantine, Stern Abutment.
8.30-16.30 (January 2 through February 15)
8.30-17.00 (February 16 through March 15)
8.30-17.30 (March 15 through the last Saturday of the month)
8.30-19.15 (Last Sunday in March through 31 August)
8.30-19.00 (September 1 to September 30)
8.30-18.30 (October 1 to last Saturday of the month)
8.30-16.30 (Last Sunday in October through December 31)
Recommended visiting hours
The less crowded hours are from 8.30 to 10.00 and then from 17.00 until closing time, but the monument is still pretty much always crowded given it’s one of the most important not only in the city but in the whole world. Spring and Summer are also, of course, a more popular visiting time than Autumn and Winter.
Ticket: 16 euro
Know before you book
- Please consider that admission fees for the Colosseum are not included.
- This is a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone, accessible through our app. No live guide will accompany you. No VR / AR is included
- No live guide or meeting point provided.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Check your spam folder as well
- Book per device to be used, not per participant
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS (version 15.0 and later) smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 6/6 Plus or older, iPod Touch 6th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Air 1st generation, iPad Mini 3rd generation or older.
- You will need storage space on your phone (100-150 MB)
Know before you go
- Mobile signal may be weak at the site(s). Download your audio tour on your smartphone prior to your visit to fully enjoy it.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged & that you bring your earphones
- The Colosseum is wheelchair accessible from the entrances located along Via dei Fori Imperiali. The first floor can be accessed by the lift on the northern side of the Amphitheater
- Please wear sunscreen and a hat during the hot summer months
- Visitors are also advised to wear sturdy shoes
Contributors and Bibliography
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!