Step into the shoes of the fearless gladiators in the iconic Colosseum with an immersive audio tour on your smartphone.
Experience the grandeur of ancient Rome, listening to a brilliantly tied narrative that will fire up your imagination. Your tour begins at the individual visitors’ entrance, easily reached from the Colosseum square. It is time to admire the fabled Arena! It evokes memories of ancient gladiatorial fights and wild beasts. Of course, as you walk along the crater-like Cavea, you’ll recapture the amazement of the public. They shouted and cheered at the sight of blood, while in the dark undergrounds the wild animals were roaring and desperate men were waiting to meet death!
Once you’ve explored the Colosseum from inside, you’ll experience the surroundings of the grand amphitheater. Your audio tour will guide your steps to the impressive triumphal arch of Constantine. Here, you’ll learn about the victory of Christianity and the death of the pagan world. Finally, your tour culminates in front of the Stern Abutment, where you’ll listen to the stories about the monument’s successive restorations and transformations.
This tour offers the ideal opportunity to enjoy a fascinating visit to the Colosseum and get to know its secrets inside out!
*Kindly note that this product does not include an entry ticket to the Colosseum
A journalist for Lonely Planet Travel News, a writer for Bossy Italy with an overflowing love for art, travelling and Korean pop music.
Contributors and Bibliography
Ιndividual visitors’ entrance gate
- Secure promo code to access the tour after downloading the app
- Self-guided audio tour for your smartphone (Android & iOS) in English
- Offline content with an offline interactive map to avoid roaming charges
- Entrance fee/ ticket to the Colosseum
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Internet access might be unavailable & mobile signal may be weak in public areas
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
Know before you book
- This is a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone. No live guide will accompany you. No VR / AR is included
- Please consider that admission fee to the Colosseum is not included
- Please book per device to be used, not per participant
- After booking, you will receive an email from Clio Muse Tours, with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Please note that for the audio tour you must have an Android or iOS smartphone and make sure you have enough storage space on your phone (100-150 MB)
Know before you go
Arena, Basements, Pope’s Cross, Cavea, Daises, Colosseum Square, Arch of Constantine, Stern Abutment.
8.30-16.30 (January 2 through February 15)
8.30-17.00 (February 16 through March 15)
8.30-17.30 (March 15 through the last Saturday of the month)
8.30-19.15 (Last Sunday in March through 31 August)
8.30-19.00 (September 1 to September 30)
8.30-18.30 (October 1 to last Saturday of the month)
8.30-16.30 (Last Sunday in October through December 31)
Recommended visiting hours
The less crowded hours are from 8.30 to 10.00 and then from 17.00 until closing time, but the monument is still pretty much always crowded given it’s one of the most important not only in the city but in the whole world. Spring and Summer are also, of course, a more popular visiting time than Autumn and Winter.
Ticket: 14 euro