$ 12,82 per person
Waltz in the St. Peter’s Basilica with a self-guided audio tour on your phone and gain great insights into an iconic landmark.
Your tour begins at the impressive Piazza in front of the Basilica. There, you’ll admire the colossal collonades and the Egyptian obelisk and learn about the site’s transformations through the centuries. Once inside the Basilica, you’ll gaze in awe exquisite works of Renaissance art and architecture designed by Bramante, Giacomo Della Porta, and Maderno among many, many others!
One of your tour’s highlights will be, of course, the jewel of St. Peter’s, Michelangelo’s Pietà. Moreover, you’ll discover the Medieval bronze statue of St. Peter, a truly remarkable work of art that has been kissed and touched by millions of pilgrims through the centuries. Continuing your tour, you’ll also find yourself standing ecstatic below the enormous dome of the church. There, you’ll marvel at St. Peter’s Baldachin, the monumental canopy that marks St Peter’s tomb. Eventually, your tour culminates inside the Vatican Grottoes, home to the tombs of the rich, the famous and the holy!
* * Kindly note that ticket/entrance fee to the St. Peter’s is not included.
The Great Escape
The structure that looks like a fortified wall, which you can see stretching further beyond is, in fact, a secret passageway connecting the Vatican to Castel Sant’Angelo. The 800m-long raised escape route was built by Pope Nicholas III in 1278. He used as a base the 6th-century walls that were once built by the King of the Ostrogoths, Totila. This Pope also moved the Holy See from the Lateran to the Vatican. Yet, Pope Nicholas didn’t actually leave a great legacy in the history of the papacy. It is quite revealing that in Dante’s Inferno we encounter him in the eighth circle of hell as a punishment for his acts of nepotism.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Self-guided audio tour in English for your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Offline content with an offline interactive map to avoid roaming charges
- Entrance fee to St. Peter’s Basilica
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Charged smartphone
Charged Smartphone, Headphones, Comfortable shoes
The tour is designed to start at St. Peter’s Square (Piazza San Pietro, 00120 Città del Vaticano, Vatican City).
Directions to starting point
The easiest way to get there is by Metro. Take Linea A (red line) toward Battistini and exit at Ottaviano-S. Pietro. Walk south on Via Ottaviano toward St. Peter’s Square. If you choose to go on foot from the city center, the most direct route is to cross the Tiber and walk straight up Via Conciliazione.
Piazza Pope’s Secret Escape Route,Navicella
Saint Sebastian & Saint John Paul II
Altar of St Jerome, Baldachin, Cathedra of Saint Peter, Monument to Pius VII, Vatican Grottoes
St. Peter’s Basilica is open daily: Apr-Sep 7:00-7:00 pm & Oct-Mar 7:00-6:30 pm
**Grottoes: Apr-Sep 7:00-6:00 pm & Oct-Mar 7:00-5:00 pm
Please note that the Basilica will be closed for tourists during Papal Celebrations & other event and that might close unexpectedly when Heads of State visit & on other exceptional occasions
Know before you book
- This is a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone. No live guide will accompany you. No VR / AR is included.
- Please consider that admission fees for St. Peter’s Basilica are not included.
- Please book per device to be used, not per participant.
- After booking, you will receive an email from the local supplier, Clio Muse Tours, with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well.
- Please note that booking requests received between 10.00 pm – 7.59 am will be served next moring from 8.00 am.
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS (version 15.0 and later) smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 6/6 Plus or older, iPod Touch 6th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Air 1st generation, iPad Mini 3rd generation or older.
- Please ensure you have enough storage space (100-150 MB).
Know before you go
- Check the email that you’ve received from Clio Muse Tours, and follow the instructions in order to access your tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Please consider that internet access might be unavailable & mobile signal may be weak at St. Peter’s Basilica. So kindly, download the tour on your smartphone, prior to your visit, to access it offline and avoid roaming charges
- The audio tour can be used repeatedly both online and offline. Use your headphones to best enjoy it
- Please note that dress code is strictly enforced at St Peter’s Basilica. Shoulders must be covered and men must wear long trousers while women must not have skirts shorter than knee length
- Please consider that large backpacks and bulky bags/ luggage are not allowed in the Basilica
- St. Peter’s Basilica is accessible to people with disabilities from the right (north) side of the colonnade, where there are ramps to allow wheelchair access
- Opening Hours
Apr-Sep 7:00-7:00pm & Oct-Mar 7:00-6:30 pm
**Grottoes: Apr-Sep 7:00-6:00 pm & Oct-Mar 7:00-5:00 pm
- Please note that the Basilica will be closed for tourists during Papal Celebrations & other events. It opens at approximately 12:30 pm every Wednesday
- Kindly note that the Basilica might close unexpectedly when Heads of State visit & on other exceptional occasions
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!