Waltz in the St. Peter’s Basilica with a self-guided audio tour on your phone and gain great insights into an iconic landmark.
Your tour begins at the impressive Piazza in front of the Basilica. There, you’ll admire the colossal collonades and the Egyptian obelisk and learn about the site’s transformations through the centuries. Once inside the Basilica, you’ll gaze in awe exquisite works of Renaissance art and architecture designed by Bramante, Giacomo Della Porta, and Maderno among many, many others!
One of your tour’s highlights will be, of course, the jewel of St. Peter’s, Michelangelo’s Pietà. Moreover, you’ll discover the Medieval bronze statue of St. Peter, a truly remarkable work of art that has been kissed and touched by millions of pilgrims through the centuries. Continuing your tour, you’ll also find yourself standing ecstatic below the enormous dome of the church. There, you’ll marvel at St. Peter’s Baldachin, the monumental canopy that marks St Peter’s tomb. Eventually, your tour culminates inside the Vatican Grottoes, home to the tombs of the rich, the famous and the holy!
* * Kindly note that ticket/entrance fee to the St. Peter’s is not included.
Abigail Blasi is a travel writer specialising in Italy. She has written on Rome for Lonely Planet and multiple newspapers and magazines.
Piazza San Pietro, 00120 Città del Vaticano, Vatican City
- Self-guided audio tour in English for your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- Instructions and secure promo code to access the tour (sent to your email)
- Offline content with an offline interactive map to avoid roaming charges
- Entrance fee to St. Peter’s Basilica
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
Know before you book
- This is a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone. No live guide will accompany you. No VR / AR is included
- Please consider that admission fees for St. Peter’s Basilica are not included
- Please book per device to be used, not per participant
- After booking, you will receive an email from Clio Muse Tours, with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Please note that for the audio tour you must have an Android or iOS smartphone and make sure you have enough storage space on your phone (100-150 MB)
Know before you go
- Check the email that you’ve received from Clio Muse Tours, and follow the instructions in order to access your tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Please consider that internet access might be unavailable & mobile signal may be weak at St. Peter’s Basilica. So kindly, download the tour on your smartphone, prior to your visit, to access it offline and avoid roaming charges
- The audio tour can be used repeatedly both online and offline. Use your headphones to best enjoy it
- Please note that dress code is strictly enforced at St Peter’s Basilica. Shoulders must be covered and men must wear long trousers while women must not have skirts shorter than knee length
- Please consider that large backpacks and bulky bags/ luggage are not allowed in the Basilica
- St. Peter’s Basilica is accessible to people with disabilities from the right (north) side of the colonnade, where there are ramps to allow wheelchair access
Piazza Pope’s Secret Escape Route,Navicella
Saint Sebastian & Saint John Paul II
Altar of St Jerome, Baldachin, Cathedra of Saint Peter, Monument to Pius VII, Vatican Grottoes
St. Peter’s Basilica is open daily: Apr-Sep 7:00-7:00 pm & Oct-Mar 7:00-6:30 pm
**Grottoes: Apr-Sep 7:00-6:00 pm & Oct-Mar 7:00-5:00 pm
Please note that the Basilica will be closed for tourists during Papal Celebrations & other event and that might close unexpectedly when Heads of State visit & on other exceptional occasions
Directions to Starting Point
Take Linea A (red line) toward Battistini and exit at Ottaviano-S. Pietro. Walk south on Via Ottaviano toward St. Peter’s Square. If you choose to go on foot from the city center, the most direct route is to cross the Tiber and walk straight up Via Conciliazione.
Why take a self-guided tour?
This is a self-guided tour based on the award-winning storytelling concept developed by Clio Muse and the fascinating narratives prepared by our handpicked destination experts.
You can enjoy each multilingual tour by using your smartphone or tablet at your own pace even if you are offline. The interactive map on your screen will guide you step-by-step as you explore all points of interest along your route. Each stop comes with a selection of our signature stories allowing you to tailor the tour experience to your personal interests and schedule.
After downloading Clio Muse app, you can access this tour and activate it any moment you wish and also repeat it any time. To best enjoy our multimedia self-guided tour (comprising maps, video, audio and text) we recommend the use of headphones.