Discover the streets and iconic piazzas of Rome with an immersive audio tour, downloadable on your phone.
First, you’ll make a stop at the Altar of the Fatherland to pay your respects to Italy’s unknown soldier and from there you’ll set out on a magical stroll. Surely, there’s no way to leave Rome without a visit to the iconic Fontana di Trevi! This pearl of the Roman Baroque era is full of water and cinematic memories. Simply, toss a coin and immerse yourself in the Italian Dolce Vita!
As you continue your walk, you’ll discover the Pantheon of Rome, a stunning feat of ancient engineering. Here, you’ll follow your audio guide inside the enormous temple to learn about its bizarre legends before you head to the Church of St. Louis. This is where a surprise is waiting for you! Three Caravaggio masterpieces will cast their spell on you if you just drop some change to light them up! Weaving through a charming medley of Baroque art, stunning fountains, gelatos, and bustling city life, your tour, eventually, culminates in Piazza Navona. What’s more to ask for?
* * Please keep in mind that ticket/entrance fee to the sites and attractions are not included.
The statues might be the focal point of the fountain, but there are several more details that make the composition so powerful and dynamic. There are, for example, seven different animals portrayed around the fountain, close to the statues of the rivers, lurking under the rocks. This was a very inventive innovation which allowed Bernini to evoke a remarkable level of theatricality, so typical of the Baroque Era. Close to the river Danube, we see a horse while a creature that looks like a crocodile or an armadillo is lurking next to the Rio de la Plata. A lion appears next to the Nile and a dragon seems to have coiled its body around the paddle of the river Ganges. A snake, a sea snake, and a dolphin are also present in the grandiose composition. Yet, we must never forget that this was a work commissioned by the Pope, whose holiness and dominion is praised with the dove, symbol of the Holy Spirit, flying atop the obelisk.
A journalist for Lonely Planet Travel News, a writer for Bossy Italy with an overflowing love for art, travelling and Korean pop music.
Contributors and Bibliography
Piazza Venezia, 00186 Roma RM, Italy
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Self-guided audio tour for your smartphone (Android & iOS) in English
- Offline tour with an offline interactive map to avoid roaming charges
Entrance fees to the sites
Smartphone or headphones
App not compatible with Windows phones
Hotel pick-up and drop-off
Food and drinks
Know before you book
- This is a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone. No live guide will accompany you. No VR / AR is included
- Please consider that this is an audio city tour designed to cover the streets and piazzas of Rome. It doesn’t cover any sites or museums and admission fees are not included
- One week prior to your selected visit date, you will receive an email from Clio Muse Tours with instructions for the audio tour
- Please note that you must have an Android or iOS phone and make sure you have enough storage space (required size for the app & tour: 100-150 MB)
- Kindly note that Windows phones are not compatible with the app
- Non refundable once activated
Know before you go
Best time to take this tour: In the morning, noon, early evening.
Directions to Starting Point
The Altar of the Fatherland can be accessed through its main, grandiose staircase overlooking Piazza Venezia. To reach this site (Piazza Venezia, 00186 Roma RM, Italy) you can go by bus, train or on foot as it is situated at the very heart of Rome. Bus lines 118, 190F, 781, 80, 916F, C3 stop very close to Piazza Venezia, while the metro station Colosseo (Line B) is at close proximity.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
Why take a self-guided tour?
This is a self-guided tour based on the award-winning storytelling concept developed by Clio Muse and the fascinating narratives prepared by our handpicked destination experts.
You can enjoy each multilingual tour by using your smartphone or tablet at your own pace even if you are offline. The interactive map on your screen will guide you step-by-step as you explore all points of interest along your route. Each stop comes with a selection of our signature stories allowing you to tailor the tour experience to your personal interests and schedule.
After downloading Clio Muse app, you can access this tour and activate it any moment you wish and also repeat it any time. To best enjoy our multimedia self-guided tour (comprising maps, video, audio and text) we recommend the use of headphones.