From per person
Experience Castel Sant’ Angelo at your own pace with a pre-booked e-ticket and audio tour as well as the fabulous Rome City Tour, with 2 fascinating self-guided audio tours on your smartphone. Receive your ticket by email, download the app and the audio tours on your phone, prior to your visit, and travel back in time to experience the glory of Rome, the Eternal City and Castel Sant Angelo, its famous castle.
Put on your headphones and discover the Pantheon, the Room of the Cinerary Urns and Fontana di Trevi, through the power of storytelling and learn historical information and uncommon stories and anecdotes from the ancient times till the marvelous present of Rome and its famous castle. Tour’s content is the result of in-depth research, squeezed into brief original stories that will make your visit both engaging and informative. The audio tours can be used repeatedly and anytime, before or after your visit.
This is an unmissable opportunity to gain valuable insights into Castel Sant’ Angelo, Hadrian’s famous last residence and Rome, the Eternal City.
Buried in All Glory
Originally this building served as a mausoleum, commissioned to architect Demetriano by Emperor Hadrian for him and his family. The original structure must have been approximately 48 meters high consisting of a ten-meter high square base that supported a twenty-meter cylindrical drum. This was surmounted by a mound of earth, adorned with statues and hosting evergreen trees, as a symbol of eternity.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Adult entry ticket to Castel Sant’ Angelo
- Skip-the-line service
- Self-guided audio tour on your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps) to avoid roaming charges
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Charged smartphone
There is no meeting point.
- The self-guided audio tour for Castel Sant’ Angelo is designed to start at the entrance of Castel Sant’Angelo (Lungotevere Castello, 50, 00193 Roma RM, Italy). The easiest way to get there is to ride train #19, which will get you to Risorgimento/S. Pietro station, and walk for about 12-minutes to reach the entrance of the site. Otherwise you can use the Line A Lepanto metro station, as close as a 17 minute walk away to Castel Sant’ Angelo. The entrance for people with mobility issues is located in Lungotevere Castello 50. The tour ends at the entrance of Castel Sant’Angelo (Lungotevere Castello, 50, 00193 Roma RM, Italy) near the Risorgimento/S. Pietro train station.
- The Rome City Tour is designed to start at the Altar of the Fatherland(Piazza Venezia, 00186 Roma RM, Italy), The easiest way to get there is to stop at the Venezia B1, Bus station(30135 Venice, Metropolitan City of Venice, Italy) and walk for 1 minute or ride the line A metro till the Spagna metro station and take one of the buses going to the Tritone/Fontana Trevi bus stop. The tour ends at Piazza Navona(Piazza Navona, 00186 Roma RM, Italy), near the Barberini metro station.
Recommended visiting hours
- Castel Sant’ Angelo
Tuesday to Sunday, from 9 AM to 7:30 PM.
- Rome City Tour
8am – 8pm(suggested time)
Know before you book
- This is a combination of a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone (accessible through our app) and an entry ticket for Castel Sant’ Angelo and an Audio Tour for the Rome City Tour.
- No live guide or meeting point provided.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well.
- The course of the visit may be modified and special restrictions may be imposed. The visitors must always adhere to the guidelines of the site.
- Book per device to be used, not per participant.
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS (version 15.0 and later) smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 6/6 Plus or older, iPod Touch 6th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Air 1st generation, iPad Mini 3rd generation or older.
- You will need storage space on your phone (200-300MB)
- Free and reduced admission tickets do not have to skip the line privileges and can only be acquired at the ticket booth on-site.
- Castel Sant’Angelo is not wheelchair accessible. However, a lift is made available on request.
Know before you go
- Download the ticket(s) & audio tour while on WiFi prior to your visit. Mobile signal may be weak at the site(s).
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged & that you bring your earphones
- Wear comfortable shoes suitable for walking
- For the Rome City Tour make sure you wear sunscreen and a hat during hot summer months.
Contributors and Bibliography
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!