From per person
Experience the National Sintra Palace at your own pace with an e-ticket and a fascinating self-guided audio tour on your smartphone.
Receive your ticket by email, download the app and the audio tour on your phone, prior to your visit, and travel back in time to experience the glory of the National Sintra Palace, where every room holds a unique tale of Portugal’s royal heritage.
Put on your headphones and discover the John III’s Chambers, the Palatine Chapel and the Arab Room through the power of storytelling and learn historical information and uncommon stories and anecdotes from the ancient times. Tour’s content is the result of in-depth research, squeezed into brief original stories that will make your visit both engaging and informative. The audio tour can be used repeatedly and anytime, before or after your visit.
This is an unmissable opportunity to gain valuable insights into the centuries of royal life and intrigue that have unfolded within the walls of the National Palace of Sintra and relate to your surroundings in an entirely original way.
The Hall of Archeiros
This Hall connects different parts of the Palace. To the left stands the Palace built by John I; the Palace of Manuel I stands to the right. A clash of classical language, late gothic and Manueline art, it connects to several sections of the Palace. The name Archeiros derives from the fact that, once, soldiers stood guard here while holding halberds or a similar-looking weapon called archa.- hence Archeiros. The Hall was once a semi-open terrace, covered only by a simple tiled roof. By the mid-16th century, this space was closed off, and the tiles and fountain added to its wall transformed into a regular Entrance Hall.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Adult entry ticket to the National Sintra Palace
- Self-guided audio tour on your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps) to avoid roaming charges
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Charged smartphone
There is no meeting point. The self-guided audio tour is designed to start at the entrance of the National Sintra Palace (Largo Rainha Dona Amélia, 2710-616 Sintra). The easiest way to get there is by reaching the Sintra train station (2710-590 Sintra, Portugal) and then walking 12 minutes via Volta do Duche street towards the palace.
Opening hours for National Sintra Palace
Recommended visiting hours
09:30 – 18:30
Last ticket and last admission:
09:30 – 18:30
Last Admission: 18:00
Know before you book
- This is a combination of a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone (accessible through our app) and an entry ticket for the National Sintra Palace.
- No live guide or meeting point provided.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well.
- The course of the visit may be modified and special restrictions may be imposed. The visitors must always adhere to the guidelines of the site.
- Book per device to be used, not per participant.
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS (version 15.0 and later) smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 6/6 Plus or older, iPod Touch 6th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Air 1st generation, iPad Mini 3rd generation or older.
- You will need storage space on your phone (100-150 MB)
- Free and reduced admission tickets do not have to skip the line privileges and can only be acquired at the ticket booth on-site.
- The National Palace of Sintra is partly wheelchair accessible.It’s recommended to make a reservation in advance to ensure that ramps are available.
Know before you go
- Download the ticket(s) & audio tour while on WiFi prior to your visit. Mobile signal may be weak at the site(s).
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged & that you bring your earphones
- Entering the Palace with food products or smoking is not allowed
Contributors and Bibliography
© Clio Muse Tours
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!