From per person
Experience the Roman Forum and the Palatine Hill at your own pace with a skip-the-line e-ticket and two captivating self-guided audio tours on your smartphone.
Receive your ticket by email, download the app and the audio tour on your phone, prior to your visit, and travel back in time to experience the grandeur of Imperial Rome.
Put on your headphones and explore the Basilica Aemilia, the Arch of Septimius Severus and the famed Temple of Caesar, as well as the Stadium, the Hut Village, and the Farnese Gardens through the power of storytelling and learn historical information and uncommon stories and anecdotes from the ancient times. Tour’s content is the result of in-depth research, squeezed into brief original stories that will make your visit both engaging and informative. The audio tours can be used repeatedly and anytime, before or after your visit.
This is an unmissable opportunity to gain valuable insights into the glorious periods and dark pages of Rome’s history and to relate to your surroundings in an entirely original way.
The care of the gens Aemilia
The Basilica owes its name to a notable Roman family.The gens Aemilia were one of the richest and most noble families in Rome, and took particular care of this centre of power, economy and social life. Ever since the construction of the Basilica in 179 BC, the family took care of the renovation works— sometimes receiving state funding, but mostly using their own resources. Their great care for the building was due to the fact that the Basilica (a Greek term that had no religious connotation in Ancient Rome, unlike today) was a structure of great importance being the seat of trade and justice, as well as a protected location for other public activities in case of severe weather.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Adult entry ticket to the Roman Forum and the Palatine Hill
- Self-guided audio tour on your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps) to avoid roaming charges
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Charged smartphone
Directions to starting point
There is no meeting point.
- The Roman Forum audio tour is designed to begin at the entrance of the Roman Forum (Largo della Salara Vecchia 5/6). The tour ends at the Temple of Venus and Rome inside the Roman Forum. To exit the Roman Forum, walk all the way back from Via Sacra and return to the starting point at the Via della Salara Vecchia entrance.
- The Palatine Hill audio tour is designed to begin at the entrance of the Palatine Hill (.Via di San Gregorio, 30) The easiest way to get there is by Metro (station: Colosseum). The tour ends at the same location (entrance of the Palatine Hill), next to the Arch of Titus.
Basilica Aemilia | The Temple of Caesar
The Hut Village| Farnese Gardens | Temple of Magna Mater
Opening hours for Roman Forum
Recommended visiting hours
The Roman Forum/Palatine Hill are open every day
- from 1 January to 28 February 9.00 – 16.30
- from 1 to 25 March 9.00 – 17.30
- from 26 March to 31 August 9.00 – 19.15
- from 1 September to 30 September 9.00 – 19.00
- from 1 to 28 October 9.00 – 18.30
- from 29 October to 31 December 9.00 – 16.30
Last admission an hour and a half before closing.
The passage from the Colosseum Archaeological Park to the Fori Imperiali area is open every day from 9.00 to 17.45.
Know before you book
- This is a combination of two downloadable self-guided audio tours for your smartphone (accessible through our app) and an entry ticket for the Roman Forum and the Palatine Hill.
- No live guide or meeting point provided.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well.
- The course of the visit may be modified and special restrictions may be imposed. The visitors must always adhere to the guidelines of the site.
- Book per device to be used, not per participant.
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS (version 15.0 and later) smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 6/6 Plus or older, iPod Touch 6th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Air 1st generation, iPad Mini 3rd generation or older.
- You will need storage space on your phone (200-300MB).
- Free and reduced admission tickets do not have to skip the line privileges and can only be acquired at the ticket booth on-site.
- The ticket is valid for 24h and for one entrance to the Roman Forum and the Palatine Hill.
- The Roman Forum and the Palatine Hill are located in the same archaeological area and count as one admission.
- Please note that not all areas of these two sites are wheelchair accessible.
Know before you go
- Download the ticket(s) & audio tour while on WiFi prior to your visit. Mobile signal may be weak at the site(s).
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged & that you bring your earphones
- Large backpacks and bulky bags/ luggage are not allowed
- For security reasons, all visitors and their luggage shall be screened. To facilitate the security checks please insert any object (including mobile phone) in the bag/backpack or in the tray to be included in the X-ray.
- It is forbidden to enter the monuments with glass containers, alcoholic beverages and spray cans, Swiss Army knives and scooters
- access to animals is prohibited with the exception of service and pet therapy dogs
- Comfortable shoes are strongly recommended
- During the hot months, it is highly recommended to wear a hat and use sunscreen
Contributors and Bibliography
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!