An urban self-guided audio walking tour in the heart of Piraeus. Discover credible and original stories written by top local professionals. Take your tour now and enjoy it instantly on your smartphone device.
Piraeus: Hidden urban stories is about a city where it pays to walk. Hidden among the apartment buildings of contemporary Piraeus, lie unexpected stories of the people who transformed this place from a wilderness to an exciting industrial and commercial center. This tour takes you back to 19th-century Piraeus and enables you to discover the unforgettable secrets of Greece’s largest port.
If you do not arrive by boat, the traditional way to come to Piraeus is by train. But not just any train. The line that connects downtown Athens to the port opened in 1869. The Piraeus central station is an impressive eclectic building that adapted to the Greek reality the European model of a big metallic apsidal dome with a glass ceiling. It is a miniature of Milan’s central rail station.
Since Piraeus was both a port and a thriving industrial town, there are many imposing buildings that commemorate both of these functions. The neoclassical Post Office cum Customs Office cum Telegraph Office was almost never used because the municipality refused to pay a paltry amount demanded for rent. The Municipal Theater seemed destined to always be under construction since each new municipal authority had something different in mind regarding the building’s plan and use. The Church of Hagia Triada became infamous over its terribly poor construction, was destroyed during a German bombardment and was rebuilt with funds provided by a surcharge on municipal bus fares. The Kleanthis storehouses caused a sensation back in the day with their impressive design and luxurious building materials but are now in a dilapidated condition. Don’t wait too long, for you may get there too late to find them still standing!
But, of course, it is the private mansions of the wealthy industrialists and merchants of Piraeus that still capture our imagination. The Metaxas Mansion was partially funded by one of the most successful Greek export commodities, the famous Metaxas brandy. The Strigkos Mansion is the definitive proof that working for 16 hours every day can pay off. The Patsiadis Mansion is the only surviving building of the so-called “Neighborhood of Mansions,” created by the famous architect Ernst Ziller.
Pl. Odissou, Pireas
- Self-guided audio tour in English for your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Offline content with an offline interactive map to avoid roaming charges
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
Know before you book
- This is a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone. No live guide will accompany you. No VR / AR is included
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- An Android or iOS smartphone is required
- The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 5/5C or older, iPod Touch 5th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Mini 1st generation
- Please ensure you have enough storage space (100-150 MB)
- Book per device to be used, not per participant
- Non refundable once activated.
Know before you go
- Internet access might be unavailable & mobile signal may be weak. So please download the audio tour on your smartphone prior to your visit in order to enjoy it offline
- Use your headphones to best enjoy it
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged
Piraeus port, Piraeus train station, Piraeus square
To fully enjoy all the points of interest included in this tour, we recommend that you take it some time between 06:00 – 23:00 to ensure access to the Piraeus Train Station.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
Why take a self-guided tour?
This is a self-guided tour based on the award-winning storytelling concept developed by Clio Muse and the fascinating narratives prepared by our handpicked destination experts.
You can enjoy each multilingual tour by using your smartphone or tablet at your own pace even if you are offline. The interactive map on your screen will guide you step-by-step as you explore all points of interest along your route. Each stop comes with a selection of our signature stories allowing you to tailor the tour experience to your personal interests and schedule.
After downloading Clio Muse app, you can access this tour and activate it any moment you wish and also repeat it any time. To best enjoy our multimedia self-guided tour (comprising maps, video, audio and text) we recommend the use of headphones.
By clicking "Add to cart", you are purchasing this tour in English. This tour is also available in the following languages: Ελληνικά.