$ 12,82 per person
Enjoy a hassle-free visit to the Ancient Agora, one of the most dynamic attractions of Athens with a fascinating self-guided audio tour on your smartphone.
Follow, at your own pace, the riveting journey of the evolution of Athenian democracy as you enjoy a visit to the most dynamic archaeological site of Athens.
Your tour begins with a comprehensive introduction to the chain of events that made democracy possible in ancient Athens. At the foot of the hill where the temple of Hephaestus still stands radiant, you’ll learn about Solon, whose legal reforms paved the way for the formation of the earliest civil society in world history. Just uphill from the Tholos, take a glimpse of the ruined Bouleuterion, where 500 Athenians met daily to draw up laws and proposals presented to the city’s popular assembly. As you continue your walk, anecdotal stories from the lives of bright Athenian personalities, such as Aristides the Just and glorious Pericles, will come alive through the original and fun content of your expertly designed audio guide. The exhibits in the Museum of the Agora are bound to fascinate you, providing a rich pool of information on the ingenious, yet at times cruel, methods used by the Athenians to defend their democracy from any malign influence. Enjoy picture-postcard vistas to the Acropolis from the hill of Pnyx and the Rock of Ares, while later as you ascend on the hill of Philopappos, you’ll discover the prison of Socrates and gain some important insights into the life and death of the great Athenian philosopher.
Your tour ends within easy reach of the Acropolis archaeological site, in front of the theatre of Dionysus, where you’ll marvel at the oldest theatre of the world and the actual place where the tragedies of Aeschylus, Sophocles, and Euripides were once staged.
* * Please note that ticket/entrance fee to the Ancient Agora is not included.
The birth of the Athenian laws
In the early 6th century B.C., social and political tensions had led Athens to the verge of collapse. Nearly all power was in the hands of a few influential families. The remaining population was in a state of unrest, with the poorest having to take loans secured against their own person and subsequently finding themselves reduced to slavery. Then, in 594/3 B.C., the Athenians elected Solon as archon (chief ruler), with their legislative powers to resolve the crisis. Solon’s reforms are considered to be one of the major stepping stones on the path to a democratic form of governance.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Offline content with an offline interactive map to avoid roaming charges
- Self-guided audio tour in English for your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Entrance fee to the Ancient Agora & Museum
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Charged smartphone
Ancient Agora, Pnyx, Theatre of Dionysus
Opening hours for Ancient Agora of Athens
1 November - 31 March
- Monday - Sunday: - (last admission: )
1 April - 31 October
- Monday - Sunday: - (last admission: )
A large part of the tour goes through the Ancient Agora of Athens. General admission: €10
Know before you book
- This is a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone. No live guide will accompany you. No VR / AR is included
- Please consider that admission fees for Ancient Agora and the Museum are not included
- Please book per device to be used, not per participant
- One week before your selected visit date, you will receive an email from Clio Muse Tours with instructions for the audio tour
- Please note that for the audio tour you must have an Android or iOS smartphone and make sure you have enough storage space on your phone (100-150 MB)
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS (version 15.0 and later) smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 6/6 Plus or older, iPod Touch 6th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Air 1st generation, iPad Mini 3rd generation or older.
- Non refundable once activated
Know before you go
- Please note that admission fees are not included in this product
- Check the email that you’ve received from Clio Muse Tours, and follow the instructions in order to access your tour
- Please consider that internet access might be unavailable & mobile signal may be weak, so kindly, download the tour on your smartphone, prior to your visit, to go offline and avoid roaming charges
- The audio tour can be used repeatedly both online and offline. Use your headphones to best enjoy it
- Please wear sunscreen and a hat during the hot summer months
- Visitors are also advised to wear sturdy shoes
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged prior to your visit
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!