The heart of the Minoan civilization was beating in Knossos. The legendary seat of King Minos, the birthplace of the antique myth of the Minotaur and Icarus, awaits to be explored and reveal its secrets. Welcome to Knossos and delve into the daily life in Minoan Crete.
Waltz in the Knossos Palace with a self-guided audio tour on your phone designed by an accredited expert. Listen to fascinating stories, based on an award-winning storytelling concept, and gain great insights into the most iconic landmark of Crete. Start your tour from the idyllic patio located at the entrance and then continue to explore its interior and the fascinating architectural and decorating elements.
This is an unmissable opportunity to experience at your own pace the Knossos Palace with a captivating audio tour on your phone.
* * Ticket/entrance fee to the archaeological site of Knossos is not included.
As soon as you arrive in Knossos, take the way that leads you to the entrance. After the main ticket office, you will validate your tickets and pass the turnstiles. Then, you shall walk under the canopy of a refreshing arbor and you will arrive at the West Court of the Palace of Knossos. Stand by the bust of Sir Arthur Evans to listen to the stories of this point of interest as you take in the views of the palace walls in front of you.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Self-guided audio tour for your smartphone (Android & iOS) in English
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps)
- Link to activate and access your audio tour
- Entrance fee to the archaeological site of Knossos.
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
- Charged smartphone
Directions to starting point
Knossos is just a 20-minute drive from the city of Heraklion. You will drive along Ethnikis Antistaseos Avenue, which later gives way to Knossos Avenue for about 5 km. You will continue straight ahead until you reach Dedalou street, where you will find the entrance of the archaeological site. Even though you do not have a car, the easiest way is to get the bus. Take the bus 2 from Eleftherias square- the station is located in front of the Capsis Astoria Hotel- or from the central bus station of Heraklion. The ticket costs 1.70 euros (if you have already purchased it from automatic ticket offices or from kiosks) or 2.50 Minoan Palace of Knossos
Knossos Archaeological Site
The archaeological site of Knossos is open:
From 1st April until 31 October daily: 08:00 a.m. – 08:00 p.m.
From 1st November until 31 March daily: 08:00 a.m.- 05:00 p.m.
Recommended visiting hours
The best time to visit is early in the morning or at the end of the day. It is more crowded during the holidays and at weekends.
High season: €15, Low season: €8
Know before you book
- Please consider that admission fees for the Knossos are not included.
- This is a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone (accessible through our app)
- No live guide or meeting point provided.
- You will receive an email from the local supplier with important audio instructions. on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Book per device to be used, not per participant
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS (version 15.0 and later) smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 6/6 Plus or older, iPod Touch 6th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Air 1st generation, iPad Mini 3rd generation or older.
- You will need storage space on your phone (100-150 MB)
- The site is not wheelchair accessible.
- EU citizens aged 0-25 years old, are entitled to have free admission tickets. However, in order to get in, they have to get a free ticket entrance.
- From 1st of April to 31st of October Non-EU citizens, between 6 to 25 years old, upon presentation of their passport, are entitled to 50% reduced admission.
- From 1st of April to 31st of October senior citizens over 65 from Greece or other EU member-states and the European Economic Area, upon presentation of their ID card or passport for verification of their age and country of origin.
Know before you go
- Receive an email with instructions. Check your spam folder as well.
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged prior to your & that you bring your earphones
- The archaeological site of Knossos is extensive and open so the visitors should wear comfortable shoes and sunscreen and take a hat and a bottle of water.
- Access to the archaeological site with suitcases or trolleys is not allowed.
- Due to the touristic affluence, it is advised to start your visit early in the morning
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!