It took the Greeks ten years to wipe Troy off the map with a wooden horse. It took the Ottomans 21 years and a vile traitor to conquer Heraklion, one of the largest castles in the Mediterranean and the crown jewel of Venice. This tour will highlight the most exciting monuments and events of a siege that captivated the whole of Europe.
A Castle in the Sea
Castello a Mare was the Venetian name of Koules. The Venetians built the fortress in 1523-1540. It consists of a high rectangular section and a slightly lower semi-elliptical section. The advent of gunpowder rendered vertical defensive walls obsolete. Thus, they decided to demolish a decrepit Byzantine tower and replace it with a more compact fort. They filled many old ships with stones from the nearby island of Dia, which is visible from the top of the castle, and sank them near the entrance of the harbour to form a breakwater and a 3200-square-metre platform. The fortress featured 9-metre thick walls, two storeys and 26 rooms. They included barracks, a prison, storage rooms, water reservoirs, a church, and a bakery.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Self-guided tour in English or German for your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your tour
- Offline content with an offline interactive map to avoid roaming charges
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Charged smartphone
Know before you book
- This is a downloadable self-guided tour for your smartphone. No live guide will accompany you. No VR/AR is included.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access your tour. Please check your email spam folder as well.
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS (version 15.0 and later) smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 6/6 Plus or older, iPod Touch 6th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Air 1st generation, iPad Mini 3rd generation or older.
- Please ensure you have enough storage space (100-150 MB).
- Book per device to be used, not per participant.
- Non refundable once activated.
Know before you go
- Internet access might be unavailable & mobile signal may be weak. So please download the tour on your smartphone prior to your visit in order to enjoy it offline
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!