$ 10,69 per person
With a rich and varied history spanning millennia, the contemporary city of Chania exhibits its layered past with pride: prehistoric citadels, Byzantine fortifications, a Venetian military harbour, Turkish hamams, and a fierce revolutionary streak. Take a walk with us and uncover a modern city that is living and breathing history.
Leisurely stroll through the city of Chania with a self-guided audio tour on your phone designed by an accredited expert. Listen to fascinating stories, based on an award-winning storytelling concept, and gain great insights into the most iconic landmarks of Chania. Start your tour from the heart of the old town, in 1821 square, and learn about its captivating history. Then, step inside the picture-perfect streets of the town and explore its turbulent history, quirky folklore tales and aspects of its modern everyday life.
This is an unmissable opportunity to experience the city of Chania at your own pace with a captivating audio tour on your phone.
*** Tickets / entrance fees to any museums, archaeological sites, or churches are not included.
Memories of a plane tree
You cannot miss the giant plane tree in the middle of the Square. Now a favourite meeting spot with students, it has a very dark history indeed. Little is known about its origins and actual age, but it was under its shade that the prominent Ottoman residents of Chania used to enjoy their coffee in a now gone octagonal arabesque kiosk. Christians did not mingle with Muslims too much and their favourite meeting point was Fountain Square, the so-called Santrivani down at the port. At the beginning of the 1821 Greek War of Independence, in honour of which the square is now named, prominent supporters of the Greek cause were hung from the plane tree in an attempt by the authorities to stifle Cretan support. Nearby, there is a plaque commemorating the ignominious deaths of Bishop Melhisedek Despotakis and deacon Kallinikos by the Ottoman mob.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Self-guided audio tour in English on your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps) to avoid roaming charges
- Entrance tickets to museums, archaeological sites or churches are not included.
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Charged smartphone
Charged smartphone, headphones comfortable shoes, hat and sunscreen
There is no meeting point. The self-guided audio tour is designed to start at 1821 square, between Daskalogianni and Episkopou Kallistou streets.
Directions to starting point
The easiest way to get there is on foot from the Central bus station at Kydonias street. If you are already staying in the city of Chania, it is a short walk from anywhere in the centre.
Know before you book
- Please consider that admission fees for any museums, archaeological sites or churches are not included.
- This is a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone, accessible through our app. No live guide will accompany you. No VR/AR is included.
- No live guide or meeting point are provided.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Check your spam folder as well.
- Book per device to be used, not per participant.
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS (version 15.0 and later) smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 6/6 Plus or older, iPod Touch 6th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Air 1st generation, iPad Mini 3rd generation or older.
- You will need storage space on your phone (100-150 MB).
- This is a city tour and is mostly wheelchair accessible; however, please note that some points of interest might not be wheelchair accessible.
Know before you go
- Mobile signal may be weak at the site(s). Download your audio tour on your smartphone prior to your visit to fully enjoy it.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged & that you bring your earphones
- Wear sunscreen, a hat, and comfortable shoes, especially in the summer months
Contributors and Bibliography
Stop 2.1: © Francesco Basilicata 1618 / Commons Wikimedia
Stop 2.2: ©www.mysona.dk/ Commons Wikimedia
Stop 3: © Γιάννης Χουβαρδάς/ Commons Wikimedia
Stop 3.1: © Bernard Gagnon/ Commons Wikimedia
Stop 3.2: © Zdeněk Kratochvíl/ Commons Wikimedia
Stop 4: © Ahanta/ Commons Wikimedia
Stop 5: © Destinygreece/ Commons Wikimedia
Stop 5.1: © Anefo/ Commons Wikimedia
Stop 6: © Jebulon / Commons Wikimedia
Stop 7: © C. Messier/ Commons Wikimedia
Stop 7.1: © Zdeněk Kratochvíl/ Commons Wikimedia
Stop 7.2: © C. Messier / Commons Wikimedia
Stop 8: © Bernard Gagnon/ Commons Wikimedia
Stop 8.1: © Dronepicr / Commons Wikimedia
Stop 9: © Bernard Gagnon / Commons Wikimedia
Stop 10: © Martin Belam/ Commons Wikimedia
Stop 11: ©Nikolaos Karampetakis/Commons Wikimedia
Stop 12: ©Syrio/Commons Wikimedia
Stop 13: ©Paulaharris/Commons Wikimedia
Stop 14: ©C. Messier /Commons Wikimedia
Stop 14.1: ©C. Messier/Commons Wikimedia
Stop 14.2: ©Tilemahos Efthimiadis/Commons Wikimedia
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!