Waltz in one of Girona’s most iconic places, the Girona Cathedral with a self-guided audio tour on your phone designed by an accredited expert. Listen to fascinating stories, based on an award-winning storytelling concept, and gain great insights into the most iconic landmark of Girona. Start your tour outside the Cathedral where you can admire its facade and continue to explore the fascinating interior and its glorious chapel. This is an unmissable opportunity to experience at your own pace the Girona Cathedral with a captivating audio tour on your phone.
* * Ticket/entrance fee to the Girona Cathedral is not included.
A cathedral in the making
As is the case with most religious buildings, you’ll notice there’s no unified style - it’s the result of successive phases of construction. Despite the bishopric dating back to 6th century AD, the Construction of this romanesque cathedral began in the 10th century - probably on top of a previous building. From then on the building kept changing until all major works were finished, which wasn’t actually until the 1960s! Pay attention to the façade, you’ll spot it’s not romanesque, but baroque. It resembles an altarpiece, with three horizontal and three vertical sections. Its construction began in 1606, but the sculptures were not made until the 1960s. Also look at the two wonderful bell towers: a Romanesque one on the northern side, known as the “tower of Charlemagne”, (now out of use) and a more modern one - visible on its main façade.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Self-guided audio tour on your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps) to avoid roaming charges
- Entrance ticket to the Girona Cathedral
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Hotel pick-up and drop-o
- Charged smartphone
Directions to starting point
There is no meeting point. The self-guided audio tour is designed to start at the entrance of the Girona Cathedral (Plaça Catedral, s/n 17004 Girona). The easiest way to get there is to stop at the C. Calderers bus station and walk for 3 minutes up the Pujada de Sant Feliu Basilica street. The tour ends at the entrance/exit of the Girona Cathedral (Plaça Catedral, s/n 17004 Girona) near the C. Calderers bus station.
Tapestry of Creation / The Cathedral’s Facade / Sepulchre of Ramón Berenguer
Recommended visiting hours
- 1 November-14 March
Monday-Saturday 10:00 – 17:00
Sunday 12:00 – 17:00
- 15 March-14 June/16 September-31 October
- 15 June-15 September
Know before you book
- Please consider that admission fees for the Girona Cathedral are not included.
- This is a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone, accessible through our app. No live guide will accompany you. No VR / AR is included.
- No live guide or meeting point provided.
- The course of the visit may be modified and special restrictions may be imposed. The visitors must always adhere to the guidelines of the site.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Check your spam folder as well.
- Book per device to be used, not per participant.
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS (version 15.0 and later) smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 6/6 Plus or older, iPod Touch 6th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Air 1st generation, iPad Mini 3rd generation or older.
- You will need storage space on your phone (100-150 MB).
- Entrance is free for children under 8 years old and people with certified disability over 66%.
- Mass is taking place in the nave daily in the morning.
Know before you go
- Mobile signal may be weak at the site(s). Download your audio tour on your smartphone prior to your visit to fully enjoy it.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged & that you bring your earphones
- The Girona Cathedral is a place of worship so visitors are required to behave accordingly
Contributors and Bibliography
© Clio Muse Tours
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!