Waltz in the Girona Art Museum with a self-guided audio tour on your phone designed by an accredited expert. Listen to fascinating stories, based on an award-winning storytelling concept, and gain great insights into the most iconic landmark of Girona. Start your tour outside the Museum, taking in its engaging facade to uncover its rich history, and then step into the enchanting interior to unveil a treasure trove of exhibits.
This is an unmissable opportunity to experience at your own pace the Girona Art Museum with a captivating audio tour on your phone.
* * Ticket/entrance fee to the Girona Art Museum is not included.
Although the sculpture of Jesus depicts him being crucified, the portrayal still appears triumphant, with full dress and a royal crown instead of one of thorns. This might seem a minor difference, but it allows us to identify this piece as Romanesque. In later styles, sculptures of Jesus emphasise suffering, a depiction known as Ecce Homo or Man of Sorrows. Other indicators of a later creation date are the nearly naked appearance of the sculpture’s body and the use of three crucifixion nails instead of four. The number of nails reflects an attempt to make the rendition more realistic, which was believed to be more moving for worshippers. This effort to reflect reality hit its peak during the Baroque period; with puppet-like figures vividly representing the different scenes of the Passion during the Easter processions.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Self-guided audio tour on your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps) to avoid roaming charges
- Entrance ticket to the Girona Art Museum
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Charged smartphone
There is no meeting point. The self-guided audio tour is designed to start at the entrance of the Girona Art Museum (Pujada de la Catedral, 12, 17004 Girona, Spain). The easiest way to get there is by taking the L7 bus and getting off at the UdG Campus Barri Vell bus stop. From there, it’s just a short 4 minute walk (300 meters) to the main entrance of the museum.
Christ in Majesty | Bargueño Desk | Canonization of Saint Stephen and Saint Vincent
Opening hours for Girona Art Museum
Recommended visiting hours
From Tuesday to Saturday (May-September): 10:00 – 19:00
From Tuesday to Saturday (October – April): 10:00 – 18:00
Sundays and public holidays: 10:00 – 14.00
Open from 10 to 14 h: 5 January, 24 and 31 December
Know before you book
- Please consider that admission fees for the Girona Art Museum are not included.
- This is a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone, accessible through our app. No live guide will accompany you. No VR / AR is included.
- No live guide or meeting point provided.
- The course of the visit may be modified and special restrictions may be imposed.
- The visitors must always adhere to the guidelines of the site.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Check your spam folder as well.
- Book per device to be used, not per participant.
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS (version 15.0 and later) smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 6/6 Plus or older, iPod Touch 6th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Air 1st generation, iPad Mini 3rd generation or older.
- You will need storage space on your phone (100-150 MB).
- Girona Art Museum is partly wheelchair accessible.
- It is important to notify the museum’s staff in advance of your visit to ensure wheelchair access via the secondary entrance in C/ Pere Rocabertí.
- Entrance is free for under 16s, unemployed individuals, disabled persons with a valid card, carers of disabled persons, and registered school teachers, with the requirement of presenting relevant accreditation.
Know before you go
- Mobile signal may be weak at the site(s). Download your audio tour on your smartphone prior to your visit to fully enjoy it.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged & that you bring your earphones
Contributors and Bibliography
© Clio Muse Tours
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!