Waltz in the Acropolis Hill with a self-guided audio tour on your phone designed by an accredited expert. Listen to fascinating stories, based on an award-winning storytelling concept, and gain great insights into the most iconic landmark of Athens!
Your tour begins at the South Slopes entrance of the Acropolis, from where you’ll set out to experience the archaeological site of the theatre of Dionysus. Listen to the stories of the playful god of the vine and learn about the birth of ancient Greek tragedy before you continue to explore the relics of the Asclepieion, where you’ll discover how the pilgrims seeking spiritual and physical healing paid their respects to the god of Medicine. As you walk along the ancient Peripatos, you’ll stumble upon the stunning Odeon of Herodes of Atticus, which you’ll admire from above listening to the story of the Roman magnate who constructed it as a grand gesture of love in memory of his deceased wife. Climbing the great staircase that has been the way into the Acropolis for centuries, you will have a view of the temple of Athena Nike, aka Victory, standing as a reminder of the defensive role of the citadel. Briefly afterward, while walking through the majestic Propylaea, you will encounter for the first time the Parthenon in its sheer beauty and on the north side the peculiar temple of Erechtheum, home to many different deities and divine ancestors (as well as a snake that enjoyed eating honey cakes).
Discover among the ruins of the old temple of Athena the remnants of the old Mycenaean palace, the link to the city’s mythical origins, and don’t miss to take a moment to marvel at the magnificent panorama of Athens at the Belvedere viewpoint. Saving the best for the end, you will explore the Parthenon, source of countless tales about ruthless kings, fearless goddesses, and loyal maidens. Concluding your walk at the western side of the temple, you will experience the unparalleled excellence of ancient Greek architecture finding out that, despite all appearances, the Parthenon is actually a pyramid!
This tour, combining an immersive audio tour with a detailed map of the site, is the perfect companion to the Acropolis of Athens and its riveting stories.
Never say never
Time heals all and eventually even the Athenians realized it was time to move on. A new generation, wealthy, strong, and resolute came to power in the middle of the 5th century BCE and decided to express their newfound confidence with a grand architectural program. The mastermind behind it was Pericles, the great Athenian statesman, who envisioned a series of temples on the Acropolis that would provide a large segment of the population with steady employment, while advertising to the Greek world the power and glory of Athens. He entrusted his vision to the greatest sculptor of his time, Phidias, who supervised a brilliant group of architects, stonemasons, and artists.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Self-guided audio tour in English for your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Offline content with an offline interactive map to avoid roaming charges
- Entrance fee to the Acropolis Hill
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Charged smartphone
Sturdy shoes, Sunscreen & Hat
Directions to starting point
The tour is designed to begin at the Side Acropolis entrance from the south-east slopes of the hill.
How to get there: The Acropolis of Athens is visible just about anywhere in the city and the easiest way to get there is from the Acropolis metro station (Red Line). You will take the exit toward Makrigianni street and walk up the road until you reach Dionysiou Areopagitou, the pedestrianized street that runs below the Acropolis hill. You’ll turn left onto Dionysiou Areopagitou and then immediately turn right to walk up a short flight of stairs. On your left, you will see the South Slopes entrance.
Opening hours for Acropolis of Athens
1 November - 31 March
- Monday - Sunday: -
1 April - 15 May
- Monday - Sunday: - (last admission: )
16 May - 31 August
- Monday - Sunday: -
1 September - 30 September
- Monday - Sunday: -
1 October - 31 October
- Monday - Sunday: -
Know before you book
- This is a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone. No live guide will accompany you. No VR / AR is included
- Please consider that this is an audio tour for the archaeological site of the Acropolis.
- Admission fees are not included in the price.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access your audio tour
- An Android or iOS smartphone is required
- The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 5/5C or older, iPod Touch 5th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Mini 1st generation
- Please ensure you have enough storage space (100-150 MB)
- Book per device to be used, not per participant
- Non refundable once activated.
Know before you go
- Mobile signal may be weak at the site(s). Download your audio tour on your smartphone prior to your visit to fully enjoy it.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well.
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged and that you bring your earphones.
- Please note that admission fees are not included in the price. Proceed to the Acropolis ticket offices to purchase your entry ticket
- Kindly note that the Acropolis of Athens is a most visited attraction and ticket lines can be fairly long during rush hour
- Internet access might be unavailable & mobile signal may be weak at the Acropolis Hill. So please download the audio tour on your smartphone prior to your visit in order to enjoy it offline
- Use your headphones to best enjoy it
- Make sure your device is fully charged prior to your visit
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!