Venice City Tour: The story of La Serenissima
Artists and painters glorified Venice and in turn, the city immortalized them. Its Grand School is a treasure trove of artworks of exceptional craft!
Listen to fascinating stories, based on an award-winning storytelling concept, and gain great insights into the fascinating history of Venice, worldwide known as La Serenissima. Start your tour from Scuola Grande di San Rocco, a centre of artistic wonders, in order to explore the story of Venetial life and art ,feeling like a local. This is an unmissable opportunity to experience at your own pace the beautiful island city and find out the hidden corners of it with a captivating audio tour on your phone.
* * Ticket/entrance fee to the museums or other sites is not included.
Charity begins at home
Housed in an impressive 16th century building constructed by the architects Sante Lombardo and Antonio Scarpagnino, the Scuola Grande di San Rocco was the home of the confraternity devoted to Saint Roch. Various such 'schools' had been established in Venice since the 13th century, each dedicated to a saint, Christ or the Virgin Mary. The mission of each scuola was the organization of charitable works and the observation of religious practice. Founded in 1478, the Scuola Grande di San Rocco quickly flourished and became one of the richest and most considerable institutions in the city right up until the 16th century. This was because of the popularity of Saint Roch, who was the patron saint of plague victims and whose tomb, located inside the Church at the Scuola, was a much-visited pilgrimage site.
A journalist for Lonely Planet Travel News, a writer for Bossy Italy with an overflowing love for art, travelling and Korean pop music.
Contributors and Bibliography
Cover Photo: © nikoslefkas / Pixabay Licence
Stop 1: © Didier Descouens / Wikimedia Commons
Stop 2: © Didier Descouens / Wikimedia Commons
Stop 3: © Jakub Halun / Wikimedia Commons
Stop 4: © Veronika.szappanos / Wikimedia Commons
Stop 5: © Didier Descouens / Wikimedia Commons
Stop 6: © Zairon / Wikimedia Commons
Stop 7: © Luca Aless / Wikimedia Commons
Stop 8: © Zairon / Wikimedia Commons
Stop 9: © Andrew Balet / Wikimedia Commons
Stop 10: © Didier Descouens / Wikimedia Commons
Stop 11: © Anna Kudryvtseva / Wikimapia
Stop 12: © Didier Descouens / Wikimedia Commons
- Self-guided audio tour for your smartphone (Android & iOS) in English.
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps)
- Link to activate and access your audio tour
- Entrance fee to the museums, churches, and monuments
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
Know before you book
- Please consider that admission fees for the museums, churches, and monuments are not included.
- This is a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone (accessible through our app)
- No live guide or meeting point provided.
- Book per device to be used, not per participant
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 5/5C or older, iPod Touch 5th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Mini 1st generation
- You will need storage space on your phone (100-150 MB)
- Please keep in mind that it is a walking city tour and for that reason it is wheelchair accessible.
Know before you go
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged & that you bring your earphones
- Wear comfortable shoes and hat or sunscreen (during spring and summer)
- It is better to have the tour before the sunset and preferably in the morning.
- Scuola Grande di San Rocco
- Campo San Silvestro
- Canal Grande
- Ponte di Rialto
- Palazzo Contarini
- Piazza San Marco
- Torre dell’Orologio
- Basilica di San Marco
- Doge’s Palace
- Ponte dei Sospiri
- Biblioteca Nazionale Marciana
- Teatro La Fenice
Recommended visiting hours
It is recommended to have the tour before sunset.
Directions to Starting Point
The easiest way is to get there on foot.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
Why take a self-guided tour?
This is a self-guided tour based on the award-winning storytelling concept developed by Clio Muse and the fascinating narratives prepared by our handpicked destination experts.
You can enjoy each multilingual tour by using your smartphone or tablet at your own pace even if you are offline. The interactive map on your screen will guide you step-by-step as you explore all points of interest along your route. Each stop comes with a selection of our signature stories allowing you to tailor the tour experience to your personal interests and schedule.
After downloading Clio Muse app, you can access this tour and activate it any moment you wish and also repeat it any time. To best enjoy our multimedia self-guided tour (comprising maps, video, audio and text) we recommend the use of headphones.