Waltz in the National Archaeological Museum of Athens with a self-guided audio tour on your phone!
Listen to the fascinating stories of the Ancient Greeks through an award-winning storytelling concept. Your audio tour begins at the Cycladic art gallery. There, you will be greeted by the largest Cycladic statuette of the Museum’s impressive collection! You’ll discover the origins of modern abstraction in the bizarre sculptures of a prehistoric civilization. Ready to set out on a riotous journey through the evolution of ancient Greek art?
In the collection of Mycenean antiquities, you’ll discover the golden mask of the mythical king Agamemnon and the Linear B’ clay tablets of Pylos. Later, as you explore the archaic art collection, you’ll admire the smiling statues of the Kouros of Sounion and the graceful Kore Phrasikleia. They will cast their spell on you, but beware of the Sphinx, the notorious beast is lurking behind them! In the classical antiquity collection, you’ll experience the flawless beauty of ancient Greek art in works of the finest craftsmanship. The Artemision Bronze is, of course, not to be missed! The antiquities of Thera are also among the museum highlights. Once covered in dust and ashes after a ferocious eruption, these artworks and objects offer a glimpse into a civilization that was forever lost. Finally, your audio tour culminates with some of the most impressive artworks of the Hellenistic and Roman periods.
This is an arresting encounter with some of the most famed artworks of ancient Greece through an award-winning storytelling concept!
* * Ticket/entrance fee to the National Archaeological Museum is not included.
From the lover's hand
Agamemnon was the head of the Greeks in their campaign in Troy. The goddess Artemis, angry with Agamemnon because he had killed his holy deer, did not let a favorable wind blow, so that the Achaean ships would remain stuck in Avlida, in Evia. To please the goddess, Agamemnon was forced to sacrifice his daughter Iphigeneia, despite Clytemnestra’s desperate pleadings, who vowed to avenge the death of her daughter. After the fall of Troy, Agamemnon returned to Mycenae and was spared by a spy, whom Aegisthus, his wife's lover, had laid. Aegisthus assisted by Clytemnestra killed Agamemnon while he was in the bath when he could not defend himself, hindered by the shirt that his wife had given him and whose sleeves were sewn.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Self-guided audio tour in English for your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Offline content with an offline interactive map to avoid roaming charges
- Entrance fee/ ticket for the National Archaeological Museum
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Internet access might be unavailable & mobile signal may be weak in public areas
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
November 1st – April:
Tuesday: 13:00 – 20:00
From Wednesday until Monday: 08:00 – 17:00
From April until October 31st:
Tuesday: 13:00 – 20:00
From Wednesday until Monday: 08:00 – 20:00
The National Archaeological Museum is closed on 25 – 26 December, 1 January, 25 March, Orthodox Easter Sunday and 1 May.
12€ (From April 1st until October 31st)
6€ (From November 1st until March 31st)
Know before you book
- This is a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone. No live guide will accompany you. No VR / AR is included
- Please consider that admission fees for the National Archaeological Museum of Athens are not included
- Please book per device to be used, not per participant
- After booking, you will receive an email from Clio Muse Tours, with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Please note that for the audio tour you must have an Android or iOS smartphone.
- The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 5/5C or older, iPod Touch 5th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Mini 1st generation
- Make sure you have enough storage space on your phone (100-150 MB)
- Non refundable once activated
Know before you go
- Please note that admission fees are not included in this product
- Check the email that you’ve received from Clio Muse Tours, and follow the instructions in order to access your tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Please consider that internet access might be unavailable & mobile signal may be weak at the Museum. So kindly, download the tour on your smartphone, prior to your visit, to access them offline and avoid roaming charges
- Also, prior to your visit, make sure that your smartphone is fully charged & that you bring on a pair of earphones/headphones
- The audio tour can be used repeatedly both online and offline. Use your headphones to best enjoy it
- The Museum has a separate entrance for people with disabilities on the side of Vas. Herakleiou Street, accessed either by a ramp from the main view of the Museum or directly from the pavement of Vas. Herakleiou
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!