Topkapı Palace or the Cannon Gate, in its literal meaning, was one of the largest palaces of its era, and for 400 years, it was the political center of the Ottoman empire that dominated over three continents.
The Salutation Gate
Built-in the 15th century, as the main entrance of the Palace, it started to be called as the ‘’Middle Gate: Orta Kapı’’, after the addition of the Imperial Gate. Today, it is the main entrance of the museum. This crenellated gate has two large, pointed octagonal towers, the architecture of which appears to be of Byzantine influence. The gate is richly decorated with religious inscriptions and monograms of sultans. Passage through the gate was tightly controlled and all visitors had to dismount, since only the sultan was allowed to enter the gate on horseback.
Born and raised in Athens, she loves listening to stories, making up stories, writing and telling them. She studied Modern Greek and Ottoman History in Athens, Paris, and Istanbul.
Contributors and Bibliography
Clio Muse Tours
Cankurtaran, 34122 Fatih, Istanbul, Turkey
- Self-guided audio tour for your smartphone (Android & iOS) in English
- Offline content with an offline interactive map to avoid roaming charges
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Entrance fee to the Topkapi Palace
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- There is no meeting point
Know before you book
- Please consider that admission fees for the Topkapi Palace are not included.
- This is a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone. No live guide will accompany you. No VR / AR is included
- Book per device to be used, not per participant
- After booking, you will receive an email from Clio Muse Tours with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Please note that booking requests received between 10.00 pm – 7.59 am will be served next moring from 8.00 am.
- An Android or iOS smartphone is required. (Windows phones are not compatible with the app)
- The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 5/5C or older, iPod Touch 5th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Mini 1st generation
- Please ensure you have enough storage space (100-150 MB)
- Non refundable once activated
Know before you go
- Keep in mind that internet access might be unavailable & mobile signal may be weak in Topkapi Palace. So please download the mobile app and your audio tour on your smartphone prior to your visit in order to enjoy it offline
- The audio tour can be used repeatedly both online and offline. Use your headphones to best enjoy
- Also, prior to your visit, make sure that your smartphone is fully charged & that you bring on a pair of earphones/headphones
Hagia Sophia Museum
Winter (November 1st-March 31st) 09:00-16:45 with the last entrance time at 16:00. Summer (April 1st- October 31st) 09:00-18:45 with the last entrance time at 18:00.
Recommended visiting hours
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
Why take a self-guided tour?
This is a self-guided tour based on the award-winning storytelling concept developed by Clio Muse and the fascinating narratives prepared by our handpicked destination experts.
You can enjoy each multilingual tour by using your smartphone or tablet at your own pace even if you are offline. The interactive map on your screen will guide you step-by-step as you explore all points of interest along your route. Each stop comes with a selection of our signature stories allowing you to tailor the tour experience to your personal interests and schedule.
After downloading Clio Muse app, you can access this tour and activate it any moment you wish and also repeat it any time. To best enjoy our multimedia self-guided tour (comprising maps, video, audio and text) we recommend the use of headphones.