Topkapi Palace: The Cannon Gate
Self-guided audio tourFollow the story at your own pace
EnglishFor both audio and stories included
Topkapı Palace or the Cannon Gate, in its literal meaning, was one of the largest palaces of its era, and for 400 years, it was the political center of the Ottoman empire that dominated over three continents.
The Salutation Gate
Built-in the 15th century, as the main entrance of the Palace, it started to be called as the ‘’Middle Gate: Orta Kapı’’, after the addition of the Imperial Gate. Today, it is the main entrance of the museum. This crenellated gate has two large, pointed octagonal towers, the architecture of which appears to be of Byzantine influence. The gate is richly decorated with religious inscriptions and monograms of sultans. Passage through the gate was tightly controlled and all visitors had to dismount, since only the sultan was allowed to enter the gate on horseback.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Self-guided audio tour for your smartphone (Android & iOS) in English
- Offline content with an offline interactive map to avoid roaming charges
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Entrance fee to the Topkapi Palace
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- There is no meeting point
- Charged smartphone
Cankurtaran, 34122 Fatih, Istanbul, Turkey
Hagia Sophia Museum
Winter (November 1st-March 31st) 09:00-16:45 with the last entrance time at 16:00. Summer (April 1st- October 31st) 09:00-18:45 with the last entrance time at 18:00.
Recommended visiting hours
Know before you book
- Please consider that admission fees for the Topkapi Palace are not included.
- This is a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone. No live guide will accompany you. No VR / AR is included.
- Book per device to be used, not per participant.
- After booking, you will receive an email from Clio Muse Tours with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well.
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS (version 15.0 and later) smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 6/6 Plus or older, iPod Touch 6th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Air 1st generation, iPad Mini 3rd generation or older.
- Please ensure you have enough storage space (100-150 MB).
- Non refundable once activated.
Know before you go
- Keep in mind that internet access might be unavailable & mobile signal may be weak in Topkapi Palace. So please download the mobile app and your audio tour on your smartphone prior to your visit in order to enjoy it offline.
- The audio tour can be used repeatedly both online and offline. Use your headphones to best enjoy.
- Also, prior to your visit, make sure that your smartphone is fully charged & that you bring on a pair of earphones/headphones.
Contributors and Bibliography
Clio Muse Tours
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!
- Duration: 2h 30min
- Skip-the-line tickets
- Audio available in 1 language