$ 12,82 per person
Hagia Sophia’s history dates back to the 6th century. Built to evoke the grandeur of the Byzantine capital Constantinopolis, the building followed the turbulent history of the Empire that was eventually conquered in the 15th century by the Ottoman Turks. Having operated as a mosque for 500 years, today it is a world-famous museum.
The Roof, the Roof is on Fire
January 532 was a stormy month for the people of Constantinopolis. Especially for Emperor Justinian, who saw a tense and angry mob revolting against his rule during the most violent events that the city ever faced, the “Nika riots”. The original basilica that Theodosius II had restored was wrapped in flames as hundreds of other buildings all across the city. When the dust settled and Justinian managed to take control again, he commissioned the construction of the colossal Basilica that we see today. It was destined to be a feat of architecture and the most majestic monument of the proto-byzantine period, an era that shaped the future of the Empire.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Self-guided audio tour for your smartphone (Android & iOS) in English
- Offline content with an offline interactive map to avoid roaming charges
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
App not compatible with Windows phones
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Charged smartphone
Sultanahmet Meydanı, Istanbul
Winter (April 1st-October 31th) 09:00-17:00 with the last entrance time at 16:00. Summer (April 2nd- November 1st) 09:00-19:00 with the last entrance time at 18:00.
Recommended visiting hours
12:00 – 16:00
Know before you book
- This is a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone. No live guide will accompany you. No VR / AR is included.
- After booking, you will receive an email from our local supplier, Clio Muse Tours with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well.
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS (version 15.0 and later) smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 6/6 Plus or older, iPod Touch 6th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Air 1st generation, iPad Mini 3rd generation or older.
- Please ensure you have enough storage space (100-150 MB).
- Non refundable once activated.
Know before you go
- Admission fees are not included in this product
- Keep in mind that internet access might be unavailable & mobile signal may be weak in Hagia Sophia. So please download the mobile app and your audio tour on your smartphone prior to your visit in order to enjoy it offline
- The audio tour can be used repeatedly both online and offline. Use your headphones to best enjoy
- Also, prior to your visit, make sure that your smartphone is fully charged & that you bring on a pair of earphones/headphones
Contributors and Bibliography
Clio Muse Tours
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!