Hagia Sophia’s history dates back to the 6th century. Built to evoke the grandeur of the Byzantine capital Constantinopolis, the building followed the turbulent history of the Empire that was eventually conquered in the 15th century by the Ottoman Turks. Having operated as a mosque for 500 years, today it is a world-famous museum.
The Roof, the Roof is on Fire
January 532 was a stormy month for the people of Constantinopolis. Especially for Emperor Justinian, who saw a tense and angry mob revolting against his rule during the most violent events that the city ever faced, the “Nika riots”. The original basilica that Theodosius II had restored was wrapped in flames as hundreds of other buildings all across the city. When the dust settled and Justinian managed to take control again, he commissioned the construction of the colossal Basilica that we see today. It was destined to be a feat of architecture and the most majestic monument of the proto-byzantine period, an era that shaped the future of the Empire.
She has studied History and Archeology at the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens. She continued her postgraduate studies on Byzantine history and she received her master’s degree. In 2019 she received her Ph.D. on Byzantine History.
Contributors and Bibliography
Clio Muse Tours
Sultan Ahmed Mosque
- Self-guided audio tour for your smartphone (Android & iOS) in English
- Offline content with an offline interactive map to avoid roaming charges
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
App not compatible with Windows phones
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
Know before you book
- This is a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone. No live guide will accompany you. No VR / AR is included
- After booking, you will receive an email from our local supplier, Clio Muse Tours with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- An Android or iOS smartphone is required. (Windows phones are not compatible with the app)
- The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 5/5C or older, iPod Touch 5th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Mini 1st generation
- Please ensure you have enough storage space (100-150 MB)
- Non refundable once activated
Know before you go
- Admission fees are not included in this product
- Keep in mind that internet access might be unavailable & mobile signal may be weak in Hagia Sophia. So please download the mobile app and your audio tour on your smartphone prior to your visit in order to enjoy it offline
- The audio tour can be used repeatedly both online and offline. Use your headphones to best enjoy
- Also, prior to your visit, make sure that your smartphone is fully charged & that you bring on a pair of earphones/headphones
Sultanahmet Meydanı, Istanbul
Winter (April 1st-October 31th) 09:00-17:00 with the last entrance time at 16:00. Summer (April 2nd- November 1st) 09:00-19:00 with the last entrance time at 18:00.
Recommended visiting hours
12:00 – 16:00
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
Why take a self-guided tour?
This is a self-guided tour based on the award-winning storytelling concept developed by Clio Muse and the fascinating narratives prepared by our handpicked destination experts.
You can enjoy each multilingual tour by using your smartphone or tablet at your own pace even if you are offline. The interactive map on your screen will guide you step-by-step as you explore all points of interest along your route. Each stop comes with a selection of our signature stories allowing you to tailor the tour experience to your personal interests and schedule.
After downloading Clio Muse app, you can access this tour and activate it any moment you wish and also repeat it any time. To best enjoy our multimedia self-guided tour (comprising maps, video, audio and text) we recommend the use of headphones.