$ 12,82 per person
Built on the Lighthouse of Alexandria’s ruins, the Citadel of Qaitbay was one of the Mediterranean’s most important fortresses. It witnessed war and peace and is a rare testament to Mamluk architecture. Lovers of history and strategy games, the Citadel of Qaitbay awaits!
Waltz in the Citadel of Qaitbay with a self-guided audio tour on your phone designed by an accredited expert. Listen to fascinating stories, based on an award-winning storytelling concept, and gain great insights into one of the most iconic landmarks of Alexandria in Egypt. Start your tour from the modern entrance to the Citadel and then step inside the fortress and immerse yourself in its history. This is an unmissable opportunity to experience the Citadel of Qaitbay at your own pace with a captivating audio tour on your phone.
* * Ticket/entrance fee to the Citadel of Qaitbay is not included.
The Citadel of Qaitbay occupies the extreme west of the Alexandrian Corniche. It is less than a 15-minute drive from the Bibliotheca Alexandrina (the Modern Library of Alexandria). It is easily reached by remaining straight on the corniche's "al-Geish Rd." When you reach Qaitbay Square, where al-Geish Road splits into Qaitbay St. and Qasr Ras al-Tin St., stick to the right, staying on Qaitbay St. Continue straight, and you will find the Citadel directly ahead. It will take about a four-minute walk to reach the ticket booth, located to the right. After purchasing your ticket, find a shaded and comfortable spot next to the main entrance to start our tour.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Self-guided audio tour in English on your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps) to avoid roaming charges
- Entrance ticket to the Citadel of Qaitbay is not included
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Charged smartphone
Charged smartphone, headphones, comfortable shoes, hat and sunscreen
There is no meeting point. The self-guided audio tour is designed to start at the entrance of the Citadel of Qaitbay (Qaitbay St., 21556 Alexandria).
Directions to starting point
The easiest way to get there is on foot walking along the coastal El-Gaish road or by car. There is ample parking space.
Every day: 08:00 — 17:00
Know before you book
- Please consider that admission fees for the Citadel of Qaitbay are not included.
- This is a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone, accessible through our app. No live guide will accompany you. No VR/AR is included.
- No live guide or meeting point provided.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Check your spam folder as well.
- Book per device to be used, not per participant.
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS (version 15.0 and later) smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 6/6 Plus or older, iPod Touch 6th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Air 1st generation, iPad Mini 3rd generation or older.
- You will need storage space on your phone (100—150 MB).
- This tour is suitable for all ages.
- The site is not wheelchair accessible throughout.
Know before you go
- Mobile signal may be weak at the site(s). Download your audio tour on your smartphone prior to your visit to fully enjoy it.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged and that you bring your earphones
- As elsewhere in Alexandria, women should feel more comfortable in loose clothing that covers shoulders, arms and legs
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!