$ 10,69 per person
Alexandria is the largest city on the Mediterranean, the 3rd largest city in Egypt, 1 of the 7 Wonders of the Ancient World and of the Middle Ages, a powerhouse in antiquity, a major centre of early Christianity, and an important trading centre. But is also a city full of stories celebrating humanity’s indefatigable spirit of noble achievement.
Waltz in the city of Alexandria with a self-guided audio tour on your phone designed by an accredited expert. Listen to fascinating stories, based on an award-winning storytelling concept, and gain great insights into the most iconic landmarks of Alexandria. Start your tour from the Citadel of Qaitbay and continue to meet the Al Mursi Abu Al Abbas Mosque, get acquainted with the Eliyahu Hanavi Synagogue, and be fascinated by Pompey’s Pillar.
This is an unmissable opportunity to experience at your own pace the city tour of Alexandria with a captivating audio tour on your phone.
* * Ticket/entrance fee to any museum, archaeological site, or church is not included.
The slave sultan
In the middle of the thirteenth century, non-Arab manumitted slave soldiers (known as mamluks) took power after the death of the last Arab Ayyubid ruler of the medieval Sultanate of Egypt. The Mamluks gradually grew in strength and expanded east and west, offering Egypt a long period of prosperity and stability. In the winter of 1468, Al-Ashraf Sayf al-Din Qa'it Bay (a slave of the ninth Mamluk sultan) became sultan and ruled for three decades. He was greatly admired as a defender of Islam and a patron of scholars (despite his humble background). He endowed his empire with countless hospitals, libraries, mosques, and caravanserais. Unfortunately, he was also forced to deal with many threats, including the plague that ravaged the population of Egypt, and the Ottoman Turks, who were a growing threat from the north. His desire to protect Alexandria made him build the citadel of Qaitbay.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Self-guided audio tour in English on your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps) to avoid roaming charges
- Entrance tickets to museums, archaeological sites, or churches are not included.
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Charged smartphone
There is no meeting point. The self-guided audio tour is designed to start at the Citadel of Qaitbay (As Sayalah Sharq, Qesm Al Gomrok, Alexandria Governorate, Egypt).
Directions to starting point
The easiest way to get there is on foot.
Know before you book
- Please consider that admission fees for any museums, archaeological sites, or churches are not included.
- This is a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone, accessible through our app. No live guide will accompany you. No VR / AR is included.
- No live guide or meeting point provided.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Check your spam folder as well.
- Book per device to be used, not per participant.
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS (version 15.0 and later) smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 6/6 Plus or older, iPod Touch 6th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Air 1st generation, iPad Mini 3rd generation or older.
- You will need storage space on your phone (100-150 MB).
- This is a city tour therefore it is wheelchair accessible, please note that some points of interest might not be wheelchair accessible.
Know before you go
- Mobile signal may be weak at the site(s). Download your audio tour on your smartphone prior to your visit to fully enjoy it.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged & that you bring your earphones
- Please wear sunscreen and a hat during the hot summer months
- Visitors are advised to wear comfortable shoes
Contributors and Bibliography
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!