There is nothing modest about Cairo. The largest city in the Arab world and the largest urban centre in Africa, a vast metropolis of more than 21 million people, Cairo is a window to the heart of real Egypt and a world-class destination whose history and beauty will leave you breathless.
Waltz in the city of Cairo with a self-guided audio tour on your phone designed by an accredited expert. Listen to fascinating stories, based on an award-winning storytelling concept, and gain great insights into the most iconic landmarks of Cairo. Start your tour from the city’s Round Tower and continue to meet the Abu Serga, get acquainted with the Hanging Church, and be fascinated by The Mosque of Amr ibn al-As.
This is an unmissable opportunity to experience at your own pace the city tour of Cairo with a captivating audio tour on your phone.
* * Ticket/entrance fee to any museum, archaeological site, or church is not included.
The child of the Nile
At the time of the great Pharaohs, Cairo did not exist. The ancient capital of Memphis was too close to the south, and there was no reason for the Egyptians to establish another city here. However, things changed when a group of prisoners from the Mesopotamian city of Babylon rose in revolt. They needed a safe place to defend themselves, so they chose an elevation on the east bank of the Nile and called it Babylon after their birthplace (another theory claims that the name is a corruption of the old Egyptian word “Per-hapi-en-on” which means Estate of the Nile God at On). The selection proved advantageous, and subsequent rulers of Egypt (the Persians and the Romans) decided to garrison their troops here. The fort stood at the point where the river Nile changed from the single stream that flowed through Upper Egypt into the countless channels and canals that form the magnificent Delta and lead to the sea.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Self-guided audio tour in English on your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps) to avoid roaming charges
- Entrance tickets to museums, archaeological sites, or churches are not included.
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Charged smartphone
- Comfortable shoes
- Hat & sunscreen
There is no meeting point. The self-guided audio tour is designed to start at the Cairo Tower (Zamalek, Cairo Governorate 4270024, Egypt).
Directions to starting point
The easiest way to get there is by reaching the Al Gezira Steps (October Bridge) (Zamalek, Cairo Governorate 4270161, Egypt) which is 500 meters from the Cairo Tower.
Know before you book
- Please consider that admission fees for any museums, archaeological sites, or churches are not included.
- This is a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone, accessible through our app. No live guide will accompany you. No VR / AR is included.
- No live guide or meeting point provided.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Check your spam folder as well.
- Book per device to be used, not per participant.
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS (version 15.0 and later) smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 6/6 Plus or older, iPod Touch 6th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Air 1st generation, iPad Mini 3rd generation or older.
- You will need storage space on your phone (100-150 MB).
- This is a city tour therefore it is wheelchair accessible, please note that some points of interest might not be wheelchair accessible.
Know before you go
- Mobile signal may be weak at the site(s). Download your audio tour on your smartphone prior to your visit to fully enjoy it.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well.
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged and that you bring your earphones.
- Please wear sunscreen and a hat during the hot summer months.
- Visitors are advised to wear comfortable shoes.
Contributors and Bibliography
Stop 2: ©Faris Knight/ Commons Wikimedia
Stop 7: © Yasser Nazmi/ Commons Wikimedia
Stop 9: © Sailko/ Commons Wikimedia
Stop 10: © ThutmoseIII / Commons Wikimedia
Stop 11: © Mohamed Ouda / Commons Wikimedia
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!