No other city exemplifies the spirit of Medieval Islam in Spain as tangibly as Granada! In 1492, the city was conquered by the Catholic Monarchs, but its Moorish aura never faded out; the “comfortable Orient”, as romantic travelers would call it. Let’s discover the stories of stellar landmarks, such as the Alhambra palace, and many hidden gems.
Listen to fascinating stories, based on an award-winning storytelling concept, and gain great insights into the captivating history of Granada. Start your tour from Plaza de Bib Rambla, one of the frequented places of the city, and then continue to explore the best sites of Granada, feeling like a local. This is an unmissable opportunity to experience at your own pace this beautiful city of Andalusia and find out the hidden corners of it with a captivating audio tour on your phone.
* * Ticket/entrance fee to the museums or other sites is not included.
1.1 - The Nasrid city
On the corner of the plaza and Salamanca street the original Bib Rambla was once located, a medieval archway that was demolished in 1884. From here travellers gained access to the city from 1230 until the Christian conquest. Granada was then ruled by the rich Nasrid dynasty. The Arabs had arrived in Spain in 711 to found an empire that by the 10th century had become a powerful Caliphate with Cordoba as a capital city, the so-called al-Andalus, after which the region is currently named. The Empire fell apart a century later and smaller kingdoms tried to resist the advance of Christian armies from the North. The last of those Muslim kingdoms was Granada. With silk and other goods flowing from the East and with the wealth of the land, the Nasrids managed to hold strong and reign for over 250 years.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Self-guided audio tour for your smartphone (Android & iOS) in English
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps)
- Link to activate and access your audio tour
- Entrance fee to the museums, churches, and monuments
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
- Charged smartphone
Directions to starting point
The easiest way to get there is on foot or by bus (Lines C5, C31, C32, and 4, 8, 11,21, 33).
- Plaza de Bib Rambla
- Saint Jerome Monastery
- Cathedral of the Incarnation
- Royal Chapel
- Corral del Carbón
- Cuarto Real de Santo Domingo
- Fundación Rodriguez Acosta
- Torres Bermejas
- Carrera del Darro
- Cuesta del Chapiz
- Mirador de San Nicolás
Recommended visiting hours
24/7 (it is recommended to have the tour before sunset)
The entrance ticket for museums, churches or other attractions is not included
Know before you book
- Please consider that admission fees for the museums and monuments are not included.
- This is a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone (accessible through our app)
- No live guide or meeting point provided.
- Book per device to be used, not per participant
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 5/5C or older, iPod Touch 5th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Mini 1st generation
- You will need storage space on your phone (100-150 MB)
- Please keep in mind that it is a walking city tour and for that reason it is wheelchair accessible.
Know before you go
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged & that you bring your earphones
- Wear comfortable shoes and hat or sunscreen (during spring and summer)
- It is better to have the tour before the sunset and preferably in the morning.
Contributors and Bibliography
- https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Plaza_Bib-Rambla.JPG © Illibirretano
- https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Entrada_a_la_alcaicer%C3%ADa_de_Granada.jpg © Jesus Abizanda
- https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Royal_Chapel_of_Granada_(Spain).jpg © Heparina 1985
- https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Granada,_Catedral_91p-2v.jpg © Jose Mario Pires
- https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Iglesia_de_San_Jer%C3%B3nimo_vista_desde_parque.jpg © Maksym Abramov
- https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Corral_del_Carb%C3%B3n.jpg ©José Sabater Montes
- https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Cuarto_Real_de_Santo_Domingo_DSCF6404.jpg © R Prazeres
- https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Carmen_de_los_Rodr%C3%ADguez_Acosta.jpg © Pepepitos
- https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torres_Bermejas#/media/Archivo:Torres_Bermejas.jpg © Pepepitos
- https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Carrera_del_Darro-Granada.jpg © Alberto-g-rovi
- https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:MIRADOR_DE_SAN_NICOL%C3%81S.jpg © Cgbpict
- https://www.flickr.com/photos/jocelyn777/48396426606© Jocelyn Erskine-Kellie
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!