Cathedral of Oporto & Porto City Audio Tours on Your Phone
Self-guided audio tourFollow the story at your own pace
EnglishFor both audio and stories included
Waltz in the Cathedral of Oporto and step dance through the Porto City Tour with two self-guided audio tours on your phone designed by an accredited expert. Listen to fascinating stories, based on award-winning storytelling concepts, and gain great insights into the most iconic landmarks of Porto. Start your tour from the Igreja do Carmo and continue to meet Lello Bookstore, get acquainted with the Torre dos Clérigos, and ultimately be fascinated by The Porto Cathedral.
This is an unmissable opportunity to experience at your own pace the Cathedral of Oporto and the Porto City Tour with a captivating audio tour on your phone.
* * Ticket/entrance fee to the Cathedral of Oporto or any museum, archaeological site, or church is not included.
Once called Pena Ventosa, or Windy Cliff, the first pre-Roman settlements of the city were built here. The first foundations of the Cathedral date back to the 6th century, when the Episcopal See was first transferred from Lousada to the city of Oporto, and the Suebi built the first defensive wall that surrounded the hill. Although at first a humble chapel was constructed on the ruins of a pre-roman temple, efforts were made to expand it, but by the 8th century, the arrival of Islamic forces halted its construction. Efforts to build a Cathedral would be repeatedly hindered as the attacks proceeded, until finally, in the 11th century, after driving Islamic forces out and the diocese was officially reinstated, the first Cathedral was built, just a little south from where it stands today.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Self-guided audio tour on your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps) to avoid roaming charges
- Entrance tickets to the Cathedral of Oporto, museums, archaeological sites, or churches are not included.
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Charged smartphone
There is no meeting point. For the Cathedral of Oporto the self-guided audio tour is designed to start at the entrance of the Oporto Cathedral (Terreiro da Sé, 4050-573 Porto, Portugal). The easiest way to get there is by the bus station L.go 1º Dezembro (4000-160 Porto, Portugal), and then walk 200 meters towards the Cathedral.
For the Porto City Tour the self-guided audio tour is designed to start at the Igreja do Carmo (R. do Carmo, 4050-164 Porto, Portugal). The easiest way to get there is by reaching the Carmo transit stop, which is in front of the church.
Cathedral of Oporto:
April – October: 9 am – 6:30 pm.
November – March: 9 am – 5:30pm
*Sunday and Solemnities ‘of precept’ the Basilica is open from 2 pm to 5 pm.
Porto City Tour: is a city tour, hence it is always available. It is recommended to take the tour before sunset.
Know before you book
- Please consider that admission fees for the Cathedral of Oporto or any museum, archaeological site, or church in the Porto City Tour is not included.
- This is a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone, accessible through our app. No live guide will accompany you. No VR / AR is included
- No live guide or meeting point provided.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Check your spam folder as well
- Book per device to be used, not per participant
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 5/5C or older, iPod Touch 5th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Mini 1st generation
- You will need storage space on your phone ( 200-300MB)
- The Porto City Tour is wheelchair accessible, though, please note that some points of interest may not be wheelchair accessible.
Know before you go
- Mobile signal may be weak at the site(s). Download your audio tour on your smartphone prior to your visit to fully enjoy it.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged & that you bring your earphones
- For the Porto City Tour, please wear sunscreen and a hat during the hot summer months.
- For the Porto City Tour, visitors are advised to wear comfortable shoes suitable for walking.
- Please note that the dress code is strictly enforced at St Mark’s Basilica. Shoulders must be covered and men must wear long trousers while women must not have skirts shorter than knee length.
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!
- Duration: 1h 30min
- Skip-the-line tickets
- Audio available in 1 language