Porto, the second largest city in Portugal, is much more than the city of wine. Walk around and discover the beauty of its buildings and breathtaking view, uncovering the history of Porto.
Waltz in the city of Porto with a self-guided audio tour on your phone designed by an accredited expert. Listen to fascinating stories, based on an award-winning storytelling concept, and gain great insights into the most iconic landmarks of Porto. Start your tour from the Igreja do Carmo and continue to meet Lello Bookstore, get acquainted with the Torre dos Clérigos, and be fascinated by The Porto Cathedral.
This is an unmissable opportunity to experience at your own pace the city tour of Porto with a captivating audio tour on your phone.
* * Ticket/entrance fee to any museum, archaeological site, or church is not included.
Three in one
Two conjoined churches and a narrow house make up this unique complex, which is part of Porto's history. Τhe two churches, Igreja do Carmo and Igreja dos Carmelitas, are separated by the "Casa Escondida" (Hidden House). Tiny though it may be, this house is historically significant. A popular story claims that the house was built to prevent the monks of Igreja do Carmo from contacting the nuns of Igreja dos Carmelitas. Another explanation is that the Vatican did not allow two churches to be built side by side. Most likely, however, the three-story house, which was inhabited until the 1980s, was built for purely aesthetic reasons. The Casa Escondida served as a chaplain residence and housed the artists who worked on the decoration of the churches, as well as the doctors who worked at the order's hospital. This unusual construction is significant because secret meetings took place there during important times in Porto's history.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Self-guided audio tour in English on your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps) to avoid roaming charges
- Entrance tickets to museums, archaeological sites, or churches are not included.
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Charged smartphone
Directions to starting point
The easiest way to get there is by reaching the Carmo transit stop, which is in front of the church.
São Bento Railway Station | The Porto Cathedral (Sé do Porto) | Ribeira
Recommended visiting hours
It is recommended to take the tour before sunset.
Know before you book
- Please consider that admission fees for any museums, archaeological sites, or churches are not included.
- This is a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone, accessible through our app. No live guide will accompany you. No VR / AR is included
- No live guide or meeting point provided.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Check your spam folder as well
- Book per device to be used, not per participant
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 5/5C or older, iPod Touch 5th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Mini 1st generation
- You will need storage space on your phone (100-150 MB)
- This is a city tour therefore it is wheelchair accessible, please note that some points of interest might not be wheelchair accessible.
Know before you go
- Mobile signal may be weak at the site(s). Download your audio tour on your smartphone prior to your visit to fully enjoy it.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged & that you bring your earphones
- Please wear sunscreen and a hat during the hot summer months
- Visitors are advised to wear comfortable shoes
Contributors and Bibliography
Central: ©Derrick Brutel / Flickr
1: © Commons Wikimedia
3: © Diego Delso / Commons Wikimedia
6: © Krzysztof Golik / Commons Wikimedia
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!