Spinalogka: the island of pain and hope
Self-guided audio tourFollow the story at your own pace
EnglishFor both audio and stories included
The island of Spinalonga is a fascinating place. Although primarily famous for the leper colony years, the island actually consists of layer upon layer of history. So, get excited as you prepare to discover its secrets!
Walk in Spinalogka with a self-guided audio tour on your phone designed by an accredited expert. Listen to fascinating stories, based on an award-winning storytelling concept, and gain great insights into one of the most iconic landmarks of Crete, the historic island of Spinalogka. Start your tour from The Plaka quay and continue to the southern quay of Spinalonga, getting acquainted with The exhibitions of Spinalonga, and The Church of St. Panteleimonas among other historic places on the island.
This is an unmissable opportunity to experience at your own pace the island of Spinalogka with a captivating audio tour on your phone.
* * Ticket/entrance fee to travel to the island of Spinalogka is not included.
Plaka is 15 kilometres north of Agios Nikolaos. As soon as you reach it, follow the Spinalonga signs that will lead you to the middle of the settlement and the quay. You need a boat to get to Spinalonga Island (c. 8 euros, 7-10 minutes).
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Self-guided audio tour in English on your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps) to avoid roaming charges
- Travel tickets to the island of Spinalogka are not included.
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Charged smartphone
Directions to starting point
To get to Spinalonga you must take the boat from Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, or Plaka. Boats depart from Agios Nikolaos in the morning.
The exhibitions of Spinalonga | The church of St. Panteleimonas | A house of the Ottoman settlement
The site is open daily from April-October (8:30-18:00) and the museum opens upon request from November-March (Tel. +30 28410 22462)
Know before you book
- Please consider that the travel fees for Spinalogka are not included.
- This is a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone, accessible through our app. No live guide will accompany you. No VR / AR is included
- No live guide or meeting point provided.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Check your spam folder as well
- Book per device to be used, not per participant
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 5/5C or older, iPod Touch 5th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Mini 1st generation
- You will need storage space on your phone (100-150 MB)
Know before you go
- Mobile signal may be weak at the site(s). Download your audio tour on your smartphone prior to your visit to fully enjoy it.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged & that you bring your earphones
- Visitors are advised to wear comfortable shoes
Contributors and Bibliography
Central: Robert Linsdell : Flickr
Stops 1 – 16 : Stelios Lekakis
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!
- Duration: 1h 50min
- Skip-the-line tickets
- Audio available in 1 language