Originally designed in the early nineteenth century as a picturesque nature escape, Balboa Park in San Diego, California was intended to be a tourist destination. A city park for the people, it was designed as a place for both locals and visitors to enjoy picnicking while being secluded in nature in urban surroundings.
Waltz in Balboa Park with a self-guided audio tour on your phone designed by an accredited expert. Listen to fascinating stories, based on an award-winning storytelling concept, and gain great insights into the most iconic landmark of San Diego. Start your tour from the Sefton Plaza, find your way towards the Cabrillo Bridge, and Alcázar Garden, and waltz through the countless architectural elements and unique garden systems the park has to offer.
This is an unmissable opportunity to experience at your own pace the riveting journey of Balboa Park with a captivating audio tour on your phone.
“The Mother of Balboa Park”
Kate Sessions, who lived from 1857-1940, is renowned as “The Mother of Balboa Park.” A well-known local botanist and horticulturalists, Sessions’s work is widely recognized in the park and throughout San Diego. Sessions promoted the design of a unique blending of native and non-native tree and plant species in order to create a subtropical garden that was adaptable to the Southern California climate. She viewed San Diego as a garden of Eden, similar to places like Honolulu in Hawaii. Sessions is remembered as a Californian visionary and pioneer, having created an environment that is unique to Balboa Park today.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Self-guided audio tour in English on your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps) to avoid roaming charges
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Charged smartphone
Directions to starting point
The self-guided audio tour is designed to start at Sefton Plaza. The easiest way to get there is by bus, by reaching the station “ 5th Av & Laurel St” (San Diego, CA 92103, United States).
Recommended visiting hours
Know before you book
- This is a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone, accessible through our app. No live guide will accompany you. No VR / AR is included.
- No live guide or meeting point provided.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well.
- Book per device to be used, not per participant.
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS (version 15.0 and later) smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 6/6 Plus or older, iPod Touch 6th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Air 1st generation, iPad Mini 3rd generation or older.
- You will need storage space on your phone (100-150 MB).
Know before you go
- Mobile signal may be weak at the site(s). Download your audio tour on your smartphone prior to your visit to fully enjoy it.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged & that you bring your earphones
- Wear comfortable shoes and hat or sunscreen (during spring and summer)
- It is better to have the tour before the sunset and preferably in the morning.
Contributors and Bibliography
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!