The city that never sleeps is a city of wonders. Every corner feels like you are stepping into a movie scene, and most of the time you really are! Ladies and gentlemen, welcome… to New York! Discover what you mustn’t miss and let the history of this sparkling metropolis amaze you!
Listen to fascinating stories, based on an award-winning storytelling concept, and gain great insights into the fascinating history of New York. Start your tour from the Flatiron Building, one of the landmarks of the city, and then continue to explore the best sites of the city, feeling like a local. This is an unmissable opportunity to experience at your own pace New York and find out the hidden corners of it with a captivating audio tour on your phone.
* * Ticket/entrance fee to the museums or other sites is not included.
An iconic folly
The Flatiron Building is one of New York’s most recognizable sights, mostly thanks to its distinct shape which earned it its nickname. New Yorkers definitely know it as the Flatiron and do not usually call it by its actual name: the Fuller Building. Although it is iconic today, the architect in charge of the project, Daniel Burnham, the man who gave Chicago its architectural visage, was continuously mocked during and after its construction, which lasted just a year. The skyscraper was dubbed 'Burnham’s folly' and the city’s newspapers published articles claiming it was surely going to immediately collapse as it couldn’t sustain the wind load at the intersection it had created. Artists loved it though, and the public soon followed, making the Flatiron the much-appreciated landmark it is today.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Self-guided audio tour for your smartphone (Android & iOS) in English
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps)
- Link to activate and access your audio tour
- Entrance fee to the museums and monuments
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
- Charged smartphone
- Comfortable shoes
- Hat & sunscreen
There is no meeting point. The self-guided audio tour is designed to start in front of the Flatiron Building, located at 175 Fifth Avenue. The easiest way to get there is on foot or by metro or bus (the nearest subway station is the 23 St.). The tour ends at Central Park located between Upper East and Upper West Sides of Manhattan.
Recommended visiting hours
The entrance ticket for museums or other attractions is not included.
Know before you book
- Please consider that admission fees for the museums and monuments are not included.
- This is a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone (accessible through our app)
- No live guide or meeting point provided.
- Book per device to be used, not per participant.
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS (version 15.0 and later) smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 6/6 Plus or older, iPod Touch 6th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Air 1st generation, iPad Mini 3rd generation or older.
- You will need storage space on your phone (100-150 MB).
- Please keep in mind that it is a walking city tour and for that reason it is wheelchair accessible.
Know before you go
- The audio tour can be used repeatedly both online and offline.
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged & that you bring your earphones.
- Wear comfortable shoes and hat or sunscreen (during spring and summer).
- It is better to have the tour before the sunset and preferably in the morning.
Contributors and Bibliography
Cover Photo: © Pierre Blanché / Pixabay Licence
Stop 1: © Rob Young / Wikimedia Commons
Stop 2: © Aniruddhags / Wikimedia Commons
Stop 3: © R_Murphy / Wikimedia Commons
Stop 4: © Guy Percival / Creative Commons
Stop 5: © Theresa Schenk / Pixabay Licence
Stop 6: © Gigi alt / Wikimedia Commons
Stop 7: © Jorge Royan / Wikimedia Commons
Stop 8: © A.Balet / Wikimedia Commons
Stop 9: © Hugo Schneider / Wikimedia Commons
Stop 10:© Ingfbruno / Wikimedia Commons
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!