An artistic self-guided audio walking tour in the center of Athens following the steps of Greek Novelist, Alexandros Papadiamantis. Discover credible and original stories written by top local professionals. Take your tour now and enjoy it instantly on your smartphone device.
Papadiamantis: The Athens Years is a hunt for a lost treasure, but a treasure unlike any other you have ever searched for. Alexandros Papadiamantis was an influential Greek novelist and short-story writer whose work proved seminal in Modern Greek literature. His prose is virtually impossible to translate as the magic of his language is based on the unparalleled combination of two different forms of Greek, so his work makes one regret not knowing Greek.
Papadiamantis was born on the island of Skiathos but moved to Athens as a young man in search of higher education and employment. He remained desperately poor throughout his life, always depending on the kindness and support of his many influential friends to make ends meet. Despite his popularity and prolific pen, he seemed to care little about money and refused the high fees often commanded by his work. He never married and spent his life observing the world of the poor that provided most of the inspiration for his short stories and novellas. He was also very religious and was often to be found late at night chanting in church, a passion that earned him the moniker “kosmokalogeros” (a monk of the world). Neglectful of his appearance and his health, in later life he returned to his native island destitute and died of pneumonia.
Τhis tour follows Papadiamantis during the many years he spent in Athens. As you learn about his life and read excerpts from his work referring to Athenian landmarks, you will visit the University of Athens, his humble abode in the neighbourhood of Psirri where poor peasants and islanders spent their lives stacked in untidy and dirty buildings, and Monastiraki Square with the old mosque where Papadiamantis had the joy of seeing the ghost of a woman dressed in a long white veil. Then you will pass through affluent Kolonaki to Dexameni, where you can enjoy a cup of traditional Greek coffee in the same establishment where Papadiamantis used to spend his hours observing life in the neighbourhood.
55 Athinas, Athina
- Self-guided audio tour in English for your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Offline content with an offline interactive map to avoid roaming charges
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
Know before you book
- This is a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone. No live guide will accompany you. No VR / AR is included
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- An Android or iOS smartphone is required
- The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 5/5C or older, iPod Touch 5th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Mini 1st generation
- Please ensure you have enough storage space (100-150 MB)
- Book per device to be used, not per participant
- Non refundable once activated.
Know before you go
- Internet access might be unavailable & mobile signal may be weak. So please download the audio tour on your smartphone prior to your visit in order to enjoy it offline
- Use your headphones to best enjoy it
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged
Psiri, Monastiraki, Syntagma, Kolonaki, Klafthmonos Square, Varvakios Agora
Free and accessible throughout the year. We recommend, though, that you take the tour during the daytime for a more enjoyable experience.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
Why take a self-guided tour?
This is a self-guided tour based on the award-winning storytelling concept developed by Clio Muse and the fascinating narratives prepared by our handpicked destination experts.
You can enjoy each multilingual tour by using your smartphone or tablet at your own pace even if you are offline. The interactive map on your screen will guide you step-by-step as you explore all points of interest along your route. Each stop comes with a selection of our signature stories allowing you to tailor the tour experience to your personal interests and schedule.
After downloading Clio Muse app, you can access this tour and activate it any moment you wish and also repeat it any time. To best enjoy our multimedia self-guided tour (comprising maps, video, audio and text) we recommend the use of headphones.
By clicking "Add to cart", you are purchasing this tour in English. This tour is also available in the following languages: Ελληνικά.