Waltz through the Mérida Roman Theatre and the city’s monumental sights with a self-guided audio tour on your phone designed by an accredited expert. Listen to fascinating stories, based on an award-winning storytelling concept, and gain great insights into the most iconic landmarks of Mérida. Start your tour from the iconic theater, wander through the amphitheater where tales of combat resonate, step inside Roman daily life at the Amphitheatre House, and continue to uncover Mérida’s timeless landmarks.
This is an unmissable opportunity to experience at your own pace the Mérida Roman Theatre and the city’s most celebrated sites with a captivating audio tour on your phone.
* * Ticket/entrance fee to the Mérida Roman Theatre and the city’s historic sites is not included
Two millennia of history
Mérida was founded in 25 BCE, so you are now in a city that is over 2,000 years old. When the Romans laid out their plans for the city, they included a theatre and an amphitheatre in their designs; like any other self-respecting Roman city, proper leisure options for the people were very important. The Romans chose this site for the city for several reasons: it was a peaceful area where they could impose their rule with little effort; it was connected by two rivers; and it also had good roads for communication and trade with other important cities of the time, such as Lisbon, Seville, Toledo and Zaragoza.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Self-guided audio tour on your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps) to avoid roaming charges
- Entrance ticket to the Mérida Roman Theatre and the city’s sites not included
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Charged smartphone
Charged smartphone, headphones, (comfortable shoes, hat & sunscreen)
Directions to starting point
There is no meeting point. The self-guided audio tour is designed to start at the entrance of the Roman Theatre (Plaza Margarita Xirgu, s/n, 06800 Mérida, Badajoz, Spain). The easiest way to get there is to head to the Merida Belloso bus station and then walk for approximately 6 minutes (550 meters) to the theater. The tour ends at the Roman Circus of Mérida (Av. de Juan Carlos I, s/n, 06800 Mérida, Badajoz, Spain)
- Mérida Roman Theatre Entrance,
- Entrance Gate to the Roman Theatre,
- Roman Theatre Stands,
- Dressing Room,
- Statues of Gratitude,
- Access Arcade to the Amphitheatre,
- Saint Eulalia’s Crypt Entrance,
- The crypt
- Winter (From October 1 to March 31) : 09:00 – 17:00
- Summer (From April 1 to September 30): 09:00 -20:00
Know before you book
- Please consider that admission fees for the Mérida Roman Theatre and the city’s historic sites are not included.
- This is a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone, accessible through our app. No live guide will accompany you. No VR / AR is included.
- No live guide or meeting point provided.
- The course of the visit may be modified and special restrictions may be imposed. The visitors must always adhere to the guidelines of the site.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Check your spam folder as well.
- Book per device to be used, not per participant.
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS (version 15.0 and later) smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 6/6 Plus or older, iPod Touch 6th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Air 1st generation, iPad Mini 3rd generation or older.
- You will need storage space on your phone (100-150 MB).
- Minors under 13 years of age receive free admission to the monumental sites.
- Mérida’s Roman Theatre and the other historic sites in the city are partly wheelchair accessible.
Know before you go
- Mobile signal may be weak at the site(s). Download your audio tour on your smartphone prior to your visit to fully enjoy it.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged & that you bring your earphones
- Backpacks and bulky bags/luggage larger than 40 cm are not allowed in the archaeological sites
- Eating, drinking alcohol, and smoking inside the monuments are not allowed.
- Please wear a hat and use sunscreen during the hot summer months
- Visitors are advised to wear comfortable shoes, suitable for walking
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!