Who could have anticipated that the Roman Empire would endure in this corner of Europe? A stunning collection of monuments that defined the meaning of the good life for the Romans adorns a city that is both quaint and exciting in a unique way. Without a doubt, exploring Mérida is a journey you will not easily forget.
Waltz in the city of Mérida with a self-guided audio tour on your phone designed by an accredited expert. Listen to fascinating stories, based on an award-winning storytelling concept, and gain great insights into the most iconic landmarks of the city of Mérida. Start your tour from the impressive Puente Romano, stroll to the remarkable Alcazaba of Mérida, then find yourself amidst the vibrant Plaza de España, and continue to encounter Mérida’s esteemed attractions.
This is an unmissable opportunity to experience at your own pace the city of Mérida with a captivating audio tour on your phone.
**Ticket/entrance fee to any museum, archaeological site, or church is not included.
Mérida, in a nutshell
Mérida was founded as the Roman colony of Augusta Emerita in 25 BCE. The place name Mérida derives from the Latin Emerita (meaning a veteran who has been honorably discharged). The city was an important regional urban center on the shores of the Guadiana and Albarregas rivers for much of its existence and is endowed with abundant Roman, Visigothic and Moorish monuments testifying to its long and rich history. Mérida’s extensive archaeological site was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1993. The city has a population of sixty thousand. Today, Mérida is not only home to sixty thousand residents but also serves as the capital of the autonomous community of Extremadura in the province of Badajoz.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Self-guided audio tour on your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps) to avoid roaming charges
- Entrance tickets to museums, archaeological sites, or churches are not included.
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Charged smartphone
Charged smartphone, headphones, (comfortable shoes, hat & sunscreen)
Know before you book
- Please consider that admission fees for any museums, archaeological sites, or churches are not included.
- This is a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone, accessible through our app. No live guide will accompany you. No VR / AR is included.
- No live guide or meeting point provided.
- The course of the visit may be modified and special restrictions may be imposed. The visitors must always adhere to the guidelines of the site.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Check your spam folder as well.
- Book per device to be used, not per participant.
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS (version 15.0 and later) smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 6/6 Plus or older, iPod Touch 6th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Air 1st generation, iPad Mini 3rd generation or older.
- You will need storage space on your phone (100-150 MB).
- The Mérida City Tour is suitable for all ages.
- This is a city tour therefore it is wheelchair accessible, please note that some points of interest might not be wheelchair accessible.
Know before you go
- Mobile signal may be weak at the site(s). Download your audio tour on your smartphone prior to your visit to fully enjoy it.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged & that you bring your earphones
- During the hot summer months, it is highly recommended to wear a hat and use sunscreen
- Visitors are advised to wear comfortable shoes
Contributors and Bibliography
Stop 10: ©VonRalph / Commons Wikimedia
Stop 13: ©Anastasia Kesari
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!